Favorite, coolest looking planes

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by war hawk, Dec 27, 2008.

1. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Those Mosquitoes were realy cool looking don"t you say?:brick:
    I always like planes with two props. I know with the Lightning if one engine went you could " Feather it " which is when an engine goes you can fly with one prop. So that makes it even cooler cause it has two props.!!!

2. war hawk

war hawk New Member

OH MY GOSH SPITFIRES ARE AWESOME. In more ways other than looks, they all around were a great plane!! You know what now that I think about it the Spitfire is my favorite.!! You know I read that there was a version or the Spitfire it was called the Seafire because they were used against the Japs.

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Warhawk
    The Seafire was the Naval version of the Spitfire, operated from aircraft carriers. It was used in the Mediterranean as well against the Japs.

Most high-performance propellor aircraft of WW2 and after had variable-pitch, or Constant Speed, propellors, where the angle of the blades could be altered to give the best performance at different speeds - equivalent to having gears on a car. Feathering was when the bladed were turned at right-angles to the airflow so as to minimise drag if the engine was not working and you were flying on the other prop. If an engine quit on take-off it was imperative to feather the prop immediately so as to reduce load on the good engine. An advantage that the Lightning had over the Mosquito was that it had contra-rotating propellers that rotated in opposite directions so as to cancel out the torque which tended to make the aircraft swing on take-off.

4. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Keith
    That's a model?! I wouldn't have realised; it even has flaps that operate!

I suppose if you look very closely, the wheels and undercarriage legs, and the pipes under the cowling, might give it away.

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Keith, in fairness to WH, the pics did come through a little grainy but I do like your reference to a Warthog with regard to the Ju 87! :lol:

The photo-recce P-38s, F4s, that came to the UK with the USAAF were found to have 20% of the range of Mossies and were nowhere near as fast - hence the Americans were keen to get hold of what Mossies they could.

6. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Yeah hahah:fish: I must admit it was funny. The next day I looked at the pics and I thought how in the world did I say that it Looked like a JU-87. :eek:mg::behindsofa: So I "ll take it without getting upset , because it was funny.

7. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Thanks for the info on the Seafire.:nod::nod:

8. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Oh my gosh I forgot the P-47 Thunderbolt1!!!!!!:banplease:

9. war hawk

war hawk New Member

The Mustang is another of my favorite planes I love them mostly because of the White and Black checkers on the front:common001:. I also like the P-38 Lightning.

10. Antipodean Andy

So you're a 357th FG fan then, WH?

11. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Yes, Isn"t there nickname the "Yoxford Boys.?:bounce:

12. Antipodean Andy

Yep, I think you're right, WH. However, you refer to black and white checked noses whereas I the 357th and their red and yellow checks immediately popped into my head for some reason. Their markings were no where near as extensive as what you referred to, I believe. My mistake. I'm guessing you were thinking 78th FG?

13. war hawk

war hawk New Member

You know what I seen the Red - Yellow checkers they aqre cool looking.:fencing::laugh:

14. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Another one is the Focke - Wulf-190.:common001: And what about bombers why not the B-17 Flying Fortress.:common001:

15. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

These threads are just too difficult!

I am a Mustang devotee from way back. It was the favourite aircraft of the many types my father flew, yet he was also a big fan of the FW190 and Sea Fury.

Having interviewed Kenneth McGlashan for 'Down to Earth', I have soft spots for the Hurricane and Mosquito too!

The list goes on.....

16. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I like the SBD Dauntless also.:common001:

17. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I also like the Avenger.:phone:

18. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Yep................... I just like to hear what everybody likes.:gossip:;)

19. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I could probably list them all in I don"t know maybe 30 posts.:mmph::caked::hi::dance:

20. Antipodean Andy

Or one big long one!