Favorite, coolest looking planes

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by war hawk, Dec 27, 2008.

1. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I want to know youre opinions on what is you're favorite plane, maybe this isn't the place, I know I have been making a lot of threads lately :behindsofa: I have thought of so called good threads. My candidate is the Spitfire.
    , just want to know your opinions on your favorite plane.:84:

2. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

I have to admit I am not really a plane person, however that said and this is based purely on nothing more than "I like it". It has to be the Junker Ju 87 Stuka.

Seen it at an airshow, the sound, the grace of it for such a shit wartime aircraft, it just said something special to me.

3. war hawk

war hawk New Member

For me the Stuka is cool because of the air sirens. Another candadite for me is the Supermarine Spitfire. And another is the American Wildcat, was not the greatest plane but that is not what the thread is about. And another is the Corsair. Now for Axis, I like the ME109, ME 262, The Jap Zero. P.S the ME163 Komet is realy cool

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

De Havilland Mosquito will wipe thefloor with all of them :D

5. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Sorry forgot about the De Haviland Mosquito. Great plane, I can not believe I forgot about the Mosquito.:fear::oops::agree:

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Shame on you! Say 50 hail Kitty's and spin around three times to absolve yourself.

7. war hawk

war hawk New Member

HAHAHA very funny. I must say the Mosquito was a great plane.:couch2:

8. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I like helicopters ..... does that count ? .... or should I get my coat ?? :headhurt:

9. ME453

ME453 Guest

He 219, beautiful to look at, so technically advanced and devastatingly effective.
    Max

10. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

For an Englishman the Spitfire is the iconic aircraft; a legend among all the warriors and weapons of history. Apart from the fact that it is among the best looking, and the best sounding aircraft of all time, it is not easy to see how we could have won the Battle of Britain without it. Ok the Hurricane shot down more aircraft (but there were more Hurricanes) but could we have achieved air superiority with the slower and older Hurricane alone?

Objectively, it was never the best fighter in the world after the BofB; some would say the Me109E was superior even then, but the latest version was among the top three or four best for the whole war.

We've even named a beer after it!

Spitfire Premium Kentish Ale: Spitfire The Beer Introduction

11. Adrian Roberts

For sheer beauty, an aircraft which I have only recently become aware of, by surfing Wikipaedia: the Republic XF12 Rainbow.

The most streamlined piston-engined aircraft ever; a photo-reconnaissance type that could cruise at 400 mph at 40,000 feet for a range of 4000 miles. (Remember that at the time, F meant a reconnaissance type; fighters were P for pursuit).

XF-12 Rainbow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attached Files:

12. Adrian Roberts

Annie
    I respect them for what they are capable of. But they don't fly, they beat the air into submission. Quite the opposite of using the air to soar (thats what my gliding instructor said). And many of them are spectacularly ugly.

Of course, if I was offered a ride in one I would accept like a shot; any flying is better than none. But its not my greatest ambition in flying terms.

13. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi War Hawk,
    Just look at the shape, style, reputation.
    I, and many more, where completely bowled over, fell in love, never looked at another, in the same way.
    The second drawing would not load first time so I uploaded the raw original, then as my gremlin was sleeping I loaded the adjusted drawing. So we have two!!!!
    Cheers
    Keith.
    ps. Hands off she's mine.

Attached Files:

14. war hawk

war hawk New Member

I may not be the smartest but what plane is that , I wonder if I"m that dumb that I can not tell what plane that is. Somehow it reminds me of a Stuka but bigger with thicker wings, and bigger in width so I know it isn"t that, Spitfire? I realy don"t know.:faint::brushteeth:

15. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

She's a Spit, WH.

16. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Andy,
    I may be entering my later years, but how on earth can someone mistake a spitfire or even compare it to a Stuka.
    To me it is like comparing a cheeta to a warthog.
    Then again with the name of the aircraft quite clearly written in the description below the profile drawing, I suppose it is possible.
    Of course a thing of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    How about if I pad it out with a friend of mine's model coming in to land.
    Cheers
    Keith:gossip:

17. war hawk

war hawk New Member

With me it is possible.:behindsofa: my strength is not planes, I looked at the drawing again and I still don't see the name:84: Why it is fun to compare a Cheeta to a Wharthog, sarcasm.
    :gathering:

18. war hawk

war hawk New Member

O now I seen the name on the second drawing.:jaw::der::eek:hwell:

19. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi War Hawk,

I am sorry the first drawing was for Andy, he's in Australia, so its upside down.
    The second is for the northern hemisphere.

Cheers
    Keith :gathering:

20. Keith

Keith New Member

Goog Looking Aircraft

Hi Kitty,
    Just for you and because I like anything from the DeHavilland Stable.
    Hope you had a nice Christmas,
    Cheers
    Keith:photo:
    Missed the "d" bad shot