Favorite Civil War Films?

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by GearZ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Member

Howdy all. So what are some of your favorite Civil War pictures?

Off the top of my head, mine would be:

Gettysburg (1993): I don't think this one needs any introduction. It is a masterpiece of film making. The casting, the film work, etc., is simply amazing.

Gods and Generals (2003): This is the prequel to Gettysburg and shows the war from the Confederate side of the conflict. Stephen Lang, as Stonewall Jackson, was one of the greatest performances in film history, imho. Alas, it was not fair well at the box office, and it was not without controversy, and the slated sequel (The Last Full Measure) was not to be.

Glory (1989): This is another classic that likely needs no introduction. It covers African-America troops in the war and stars Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes, and Morgan Freeman. Broderick's and Freeman's performances, in particular, were outstanding.

The Red Badge of Courage (1951): I'm a big fan of Audie Murphy, so I enjoyed this film adaptation of the classic work.

Honorable mention: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It is set during the Civil War period, but the history shown is anachronistic crapola. Still, it is a fun flick.

Care to share yours? Which did you like? Which did you think were not so good? Most importantly, why?

2. nailah783

nailah783 Member

Glory is one of my top favorite films period, so of course this is one of my favorite Civil War films. Gettysburg is also a favorite of mine though I haven't seen it in a while. I'm actually writing a historical fiction book set in this time, and I think I need to go back and watch some of the movies you mentioned for inspiration, so thank you for that.