F/a18f

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by Cobber, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

F/a 18f - ea-18g

The First F/A 18F has arrived and they are setting up the second Sqdn twelve (12) Planes so the planes will come out of the assembly line at Boeing all ready wired and setup for a quick conversion to the USN EA18G Gowler type of F18 planes

Regards Cobber

Air Marshal Mark Binskin welcomed the first of 24 Boeing F/A-18F Super Hornets ordered by the Royal Australian Air Force in an 8 July unveiling. However, he also made it clear that no additional orders for the type should ever be necessary.

The stand-up of the RAAF's first operational F/A-18F unit is expected in March-April 2010, allowing the service to finally retire its remaining General Dynamics F-111s. The new aircraft will also ease the transition to the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, 100 of which should arrive from the middle of the next decade.

The Australian government agreed to buy the Super Hornets in March 2007, after weight problems forced Lockheed to delay the availability of its first F-35s by more than two years.

If Boeing continues to hope for an expanded Super Hornet order in the event of further delays to the JSF, Binskin delivered a tough message shortly after the F/A-18F unveiling event at Boeing's St Louis facility in Missouri.

There will be no "Plan B" if Lockheed encounters further problems with the F-35, he said. "Sorry, Bob, but no," Binskin said, half-jokingly, as he addressed Bob Gower, Boeing's vice-president for F/A-18.

But the RAAF is keen to expand the capability of the F/A-18Fs currently under order. The last 12 of its 24 aircraft will be pre-wired for conversion to the US Navy's EA-18G Growler jammer mission, although a decision on whether to order the electronic warfare equipment is years away.

Binskin supports the idea of converting the aircraft, noting: "It's the final part of the air combat capability that we [currently] rely on our coalition partners."

He says the RAAF has no interest in an improved version of the General Electric F414 engine. In May, Boeing disclosed plans to launch an engine performance enhancement upgrade that could improve thrust by 20%, or extend lifecycle maintenance costs.

Binksin, meanwhile, says he is "confident" in Lockheed's ability to overcome development problems with the AGM-158 Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile, which the RAAF has ordered for integration with its Super Hornets and legacy F/A-18A/Bs.

2. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi Cobber,
    I've heard they are a good aircraft.
    I believe the pilots love to fly them.

GW

3. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Fa18f

It is a excellent aircraft. However every aircraft has it's enemy's. And not necessarily just the enemy who are shooting at you 'out on the two way range" either. Most pilots love to fly fast jets. Especially brand new straight from the factory/test pilot cutting edge Fast Jets.
    I believe it will do a great job and I would like to see several more Sqdns to compliment the F35 Fleet. I also am a great admirer of the F22 and also would love to see some Sqdns of these in the RAAF fleet.
    However the RAAF seem to be going to limited the amount of different air frames they operate. It was not that long ago we had several versions of fast jet combat planes in our inventory.

4. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Re: Enemy.
    Yeah, it's amazing how pollies roll over when they get elected.
    From a massive waste of money to one of the finest aircraft in the world.
    Ha!
    GW

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Proves they did not have much to winge about.

6. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I am really impresseed with this idea to have the 2nd Squadron F/A18F set for conversion to EA-18G, just not sure how far they will take the opurtunity.

7. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi Cobber,
    Can't see it happening anytime soon.
    We have been so spolit with the F111 that we haven't gone downthe jamming path.
    Also our main security basis is to rely on allies for our "extras", although we now have the Wedgetail & new tankers on the way.

I can tell ya 'Ya Dreamin", to quote from a movie.

Cheers
    GW :D

8. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Oh no no conversion, not for a decade or more, we won't get the last 12 air craft for another 5 or more years, and any update would happen a few years later, by then we should have plenty of F35's we also need to get into more advanced long range drones.
    The Wedge tail is taking it's time same with tankers,
    IMHO Australia should have a full coverage of modern defensive capabilities, that are capable enough to show when and where the potential enemy's are, then we can decide on what action to take and what we mat need to ask our strong friends.

9. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Quote:"Australia should have a full coverage of modern defensive capabilities, that are capable enough to show when and where the potential enemy's are, then we can decide on what action to take and what we mat need to ask our strong friends."

I agree, however since WWII we have relied so much on the US, that it would take a strategic shift in thinking to become self sufficient.
    The cost would be prohibitive, and the politics suicide.
    As long as we have an offshore deterrent (thank God we are an island),
    Navy/RAAF, to dissuade others, we will do alright.
    The logisitcs to invade are beyond all but a few.
    The local hotspots can be "controlled" by the Army.
    Our upgrades on our Navy/RAAF are sometimes behind what they should be.
    That's why the RAAF was restricted in the Gulf wars.

GW

10. Cobber

Cobber New Member

We could spend a lot more on all forms of military programs. We can rely on our friends yet we still have a decent sized force protecting our borders, we can do a quite a lot ourselves with eletronic type equipment along with other assetts.
    We need our RAN and RAAF to remain at the forefront of Air Forces/Navy's in the Australian Home AOR. This means having the equipment Naval, RAAF Customs etc need now, not in a decade.
    With a small but expanding ADF, we can keep our home area safe, again i go back to, "we need to be able to see forward, the Army will do what it does, yet the Army, Navy and RAAF have equipment that our allies who use similar assetts would not touch with a barge pole as they are all but useless when the two way range opens up.

11. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Yep, I agree.
    See previous quote from movie.

Cheers
    GW