Emile Mange - only Swiss pilot in the RAF?

Discussion in 'Biographies' started by Antipodean Andy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

In Max Lambert's excellent (I'm only 40 pages into it) Night after Night, I've come across numerous anecdotes already that need further follow up (including reference to one of two Kiwis who won three DFCs).

Anyway, came across this chap, Emile Mange, who Lambert reckons might have been the only Swiss pilot in the RAF. A replacement pilot for a crew that lost their Australian pilot on his second dickie flight, Mange flew with 635 Sqn of the Pathfinder Force (Ernie Mawson and Frank Jackson were the Kiwis on this crew hence the reference). He was apparently a brilliant replacement.

Anyone come across him before?

2. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The name does not spring to mind but it is worth pointing out that the Swiss had a reputation for service in foreign armies. One even won the Victoria Cross at Roake's Drift.

3. Antipodean Andy

Further info came to light as I was reading today as the crew was again referenced as having stayed together for 62 trips!

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Emile Albert Oliver Mange DFC* 104465

Commissioned as P/O 2nd Aug. 1941.

Commission relinquished (on account of medical unfitness for Air Force service):—
    Sqn. Ldr. E. A. MANGE (104465) retaining the rank of Wg. Cdr. 26th Apr. 1946.

Distinguished Flying Cross 16 Feb, 1945
    Acting Squadron Leader Emile Albert Oliver MANGE (104465), R.A.F.V.R.,
    635 Sqn.

Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross 16th November, 1945
    Acting Wing Commanders Emile Albert Oliver MANGE, R.A.F.V.R., 635 Sqn.

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Kyt, my other great uncle, Flight Lieutenant Frank Prebble, DFC, RNZAF, flew with Emile Mange for several trips as bomb-aimer during 1944, over France and Germany, after the D-Day landings.

6. Antipodean Andy

Really? That's amazing! What a connection.

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Yeah it is.

He said that they got along real well, and they often had a beer together in the mess.

8. joannac

joannac Guest

Emile Mange - RAF Swiss/English pilot

I've just registered with this site, precisely because I was surfing to find more about my father-in-law's brother - Emile Mange - and was led into the WWII Chat. I did meet Emile many years ago - when he was visiting Switzerland, as actually he was half Swiss (father Swiss, mother English). He spent, as far as I know, most of his life in England, but as his younger brother is still alive and is in his mid-80s, I will certainly ask him a lot more questions about Emile, the only thing I knew about him being that he flew Pathfinders and Lancasters. If his brother (who came to Switzerland when he was only 13, so I guess rather lost contact with him) has any anecdotes which he remembers from his brother, I will certainly share them with you!

9. Antipodean Andy

Joannac, welcome aboard and thanks for a most exciting post. Looking forward to hearing anything you find out about Emile. I'll PM you.

10. Ian Hart

Ian Hart New Member

Another Swiss Pilot in the RAF

Just joined the forum, mainly because I am researching my relative, Harold Paul Marti, a Swiss national (We think). I have found a photo album of his training in Florida flying What are either PT16 or PT19 tandem low wing trainers. Then he moved on to T6 Texans, and transferred upon gaining his wings, to Montrose. I believe RAF Montrose was a training squadron? Whether he stayed there, or was detatched to a squadron, I do not know yet, but in 1945 he went to Cranwell until 47 when he was demobbed. I have some info on his post service life, but we are trying to find out some more about his service history

11. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Great Uncle Harold Paul Marti - a Swiss National who flew with the RAF

I hope this is of some interest (I am posting it on both threads where he is mentioned) -

(He was commissioned from the ranks and ended the war as a Flight Lieutenant, no honours or awards found as yet in my searching)

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 15 JUNE, 1943

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.

To be Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): 9th Apr. 1943

Ldg. Acm 1395303 Harold Paul MARTI (150316).

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 15 OCTOBER, 1943

Plt. Offs(prob.) to be Fig. Offs. on prob. (war subs): 9th Oct. 1943

H.P. MARTI (150316)

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 MAY, 1945

Flg. Off. to Flt. Lt. (war subs.): 9th Apr. 1945

H. P. MARTI (150316).

(Here are a couple of spare references to the surname – they may be related)

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 9 APRIL, 1946

NATURALIZATION. LIST OF ALIENS to whom Certificates of Naturalization have been granted by the Secretary of State, and whose Oaths of Allegiance have been registered in the Home Office during the month of March, 1946. The date shown in each case is the date on which the Oath of Allegiance was taken.

*Marti, Jessie Charlotte; Switzerland; Of no occupation; Bel Air, Amersham Road, Hazlemere, High
    Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. 2 March, 1946.

* Re-admission to British Nationality.

R. Fus.
    The undermentioned Cadets to be 2nd Lts., 4th May 1946:

14008190 Stanley Vicente George MARTI (365545)

12. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Father-in-law's brother - Emile Mange

(He was commissioned from the ranks and ended the war as a Wing Commander DFC & Bar)

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 19 SEPTEMBER, 1941

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.

The undermentioned are granted commissions for the duration of hostilities:

As Pilot Officers on probation.

2nd Aug. 1941

Leading Aircraftman 1286318 Emile Albert Olivier MANGE (104465)

SUPPLEMENT TO-THE LONDON GAZETTE, 18 SEPTEMBER, 1942

Plt. .Offs. (prob.) confmd. in appts. and to be Flg. Offs. (war subs.): E. A. O.; MANGE (104465) (2nd Aug. 1942)

ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.

Flg. Offs. to be Flt. Lts. (war subs.): E. A. O. MANGE (104465) (2nd Aug. 1943)

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 16 FEBRUARY, 1945

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:

Distinguished Flying Cross: Acting Squadron Leaders: Emile Albert Oliver MANGE (104465), R.A.F.V.R., 635 Sqn.

Promotion. The undermtd. are granted the rank of Sqn. Ldr. (war subs.):

Flt. Lts.: E. A. O. MANGE., D.F.C. (104465). 1st June 1945-

London Gazette - TUESDAY, the 13th of NOVEMBER, 1945

Air Ministry, 16th November, 1945.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:

Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross.

Acting Wing Commanders.

Emile Albert Oliver MANGE, R.A.F.V.R., 635 Sqn. (104465)

Commission relinquished.

The undermtd. (on account of medical unfitness for Air Force service): Sqn. Ldr. E. A. MANGE (104465) retaining the rank of Wg. Cdr. 26th Apr. 1946

(sorry Kyt - I just noticed you had already posted this, but I already had typed it out so I'm posting it anyway)