Effective long distance communication in the 18th Century.

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by JimRainer, Dec 24, 2012.

1. JimRainer

JimRainer New Member

Do you think the Revolutionary War would have actually happened had there been some sort of long distance communication in the 18th century?

I feel like the root cause was just the lack of communication. The whole "taxation without representation" motto emerged from not being able to effectively transmit any sort of demands to England. I mean, I understand that the crown could have relinquished a large portion of diplomatic power to the people in the colonies, but then that would also cause demands for secession because there is literally zero point to pay taxes to England when they do absolutely nothing.

What I'm saying is that the colonies would have eventually formed their own independence, but the war could have been avoided. They could have just talked it out through the long distance communication and overtime, and using some common sense, realize that this sort of relationship just isn't going to work out.

2. skyblue

skyblue Active Member

Yes, it would still have happened, I think. The problem was not a lack of communication. We wanted to break free from the political system in place in England and all it's injustices. There were negotiations but the King and Parliment refused to address our concerns in a serious manner. They gave us no choice. Information may have moved slowly back then but both sides made their desires known over time and even a cell phone connection would not have united us. That's my opinion.