DC-3/C-47 soldiers on

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

This War Hero Still Flies - WSJ.com

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Great aeroplane, but I've left it too late to fly in one. As I understand it, the final straw was an EC directive that all aircraft carrying fare-paying passengers have to have emergency inflatable escape chutes, drop-down oxygen masks etc. I'm not sure if there is a lower limit of seat numbers for this, but the DC3 has to have the same kit as a new Boeing or Airbus, which is physically as well as financially impossible, so passenger flights in them are now finished in Europe for ever. The same applies to Air Alantique's beautiful DC6. I'm not sure if the same applies to to the 8-seat Dragon Rapide; I hope not.

The British Gliding Association is fighting against the proposed compulsory fitting of Mode S anti-collision transponders; i.e. a glider or microlight will have the carry the same transponder as a 747, adding at least £5000 to the cost. This could spell the end for small gliding clubs like mine.

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Gotta love the EC for its logic - overbearing so and so's.

I flew in one of Air Atlantique's DC-3s back in '99. Flew over Warwick Castle etc. Was wonderful. Would love to do it again.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I believe the EU regulations apply to aircraft who carry 19 or more fee-paying passengers.

Final Farewell To The Dakota After Eu Regulations Ground Passenger Flights (from The Herald )

So it may still be possible to fly in one if it is still in its original configuration of bucket seats etc

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Skycontrol.net: Last Passenger Flight for the DC3 (or as the RAF called it – Dakota): A final chance to fly on the World’s greatest airliner

6. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Her lines are as beautiful today as the day she was designed.

We luckily have a number still flying 'downunda' too.

Cheers

Owen

View attachment 1980

7. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

8. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi David,

Thanks for the link. I've seen photos of these mods previously. Yet another way of keeping the old girl going.

Cheers

Owen