Cwgc

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by liverpool annie, Feb 1, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Well originally it said he was in the 17th Manchesters !! ... but I can't find anything there either or in any other battalions !! :(

Thanks for looking though !

Annie :)

Edit Private 9244 !

2. Hill 40

Hill 40 New Member

Is that number a pre-war number (therefore indicative of a 1903 enlistment in the 1st or 2nd manchesters) or a WW1 number for the 17th Battalion (jan/feb 1915 enlistment)?

3. liverpool annie

I assumed ...... I know I shouldn't .... but I assumed it was pre WW1 !!

Heres my thinking .... he was in the Boer War with the 17th Manchesters ... then he joined the Manchester Police then he volunteered with KLR for ww1 .... that's what it looks like ... and as I have no other information thats what I've been going on .... knowing me ... I'm probably wrong ... !! :p

4. forester

forester New Member

Annie,

Found this on the dates the AVLs were compiled:

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/archives/absentvoters

Phil

5. Hill 40

Hill 40 New Member

Annie - the Manchesters didn't have a 17th battalion prior to the end of August 1914.

6. liverpool annie

I know ... thats why I was checking all the others !! :(

7. liverpool annie

8. Hill 40

Hill 40 New Member

I can see what's happened there - they're the same man, but the "A" has been mistakenly written as "R" (similar, I suppose)on his MIC for the 1914 Star. Arthur enlisted on 23rd January 1905 for 9 years and went to France (with the 1st Bn) on 12th August 1914 where he was to remain until 21st Dec 1917, returning to the UK to seerve with the 3rd Bn. He was finally discharged to the reserve on 19th April 1919. (Interestingly, he was tried by Field court marshall for going AWOL in October 1915)

9. liverpool annie

Poor old Kenyon !! :rolleyes:

I just sent an email to Ivor Lee ... to see if there is anything about "our Alfie " in the Labour Corps !

You never know !!

10. liverpool annie

Check this out ... is this cool or what ?? :)

Attached Files:

11. liverpool annie

Hi Phil !

Looks like my boys came under Denton .... and I can't find AVL's for Denton !

I left a message for Mack but he hasn't got back to me yet !!

12. liverpool annie

I heard from Ivor Lee ... he's swamped right now ... trying to publish a book !! ( seems like everybody I know is writing a book !! :rolleyes: ) theres another one to put on the list !! :)

So .... I'll keep looking for Labour Corps and see what I can find !!

13. forester

forester New Member

Annie,

I can't see anything specific in the TNA catalogue.
    I did find one reference to the 1st Infantry Labour Company, Kings Liverpool Regiment, but the link didn't work. :rolleyes:

Phil

14. 8055BELL

8055BELL New Member