Cornwallis

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by The General, May 21, 2007.

1. The General

The General New Member

As I am in the midst of studying the Southern Campaigns of the Revolutionary War, Lt. Gen. Charles, Lord Cornwallis, plays a major role in the story. I just went looking on Amazon and was surprised to find that there doesn't appear to have been a biography of Cornwallis written in modern times. Mark Peters, since you're across the pond, are you aware of any British biographies of Cornwallis? If so, I think I'd like to get my hands on a copy.

Eric

2. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Eric,

I believe that there hasn't been a recent study of Lord Cornwallis. I certainly don't have one in my collection, which does seem a glaring omission.

Recent UK books dealing have concentrated mostly on the politicians involved, and the issues surrounding the decision not to prosecute the war as was necessary to secure victory.

Best wishes,

Mark

PS. I haven't forgotten about the thing about the purchase of commissions! ::)

3. Rifleman

Rifleman New Member

If you have a chance, attend one of the characterizations of Cornwallis give by Howard Burnham. It is a very entertaining and educational session. I saw him last year at Cowpens. He does a number of other personalities also.

http://www.howardburnham.com/index.html

RobT

4. The General

The General New Member

Mark,

Given the huge role played by Cornwallis, that surprises me a bit, but it is what it is.  Hopefully, someone will tackle a modern biography of him sooner than later.  Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

Eric

5. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Rob,

What a small world. Mr Burnham was from, and grew up in, my home county of Dorset. :eek: Thanks for the link.

Best wishes,

Mark

6. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Gentlemen
    Re; Books on Cornwallis. I have Cornwallis The American Adventure by Franklin & Mary Wickshire, Houghton Mifflin Co 1970. Also, Cornwallis The Imperial Years, same authors, University of North Carlolina Press 1980.
    I found these very good. YMH & OS, Uncle Ben

7. Rifleman

Rifleman New Member

Indeed sir, indeed. I can not recommend his performances too highly! He will be in Europe next month.

I will likely see him again in Spartanburg, SC as Tarleton.

regards
    RobT

8. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Ben wrote:

I have Cornwallis The American Adventure by Franklin & Mary Wickshire, Houghton Mifflin Co 1970. Also, Cornwallis The Imperial Years,  same authors, University of North Carlolina Press 1980.

I think this highlights the problem, with both these books seemingly written Stateside.  I also presume, from their titles, that they concentrate on his time in the American colonies. 

I think I agree with Eric that a new book using UK primary and secondary sources, in conjunction with sources from the US, may provide a fresh perspective on Lord Cornwallis.  Still, it does seem an area largely ignored when considering, say, the US Civil War.

Best wishes,

Mark

9. Rev-War

Rev-War New Member

So, Mark, are you offering to write one? Being that you are in the UK, and have access to the resources???

;D

10. markpeters

markpeters New Member

So, Mark, are you offering to write one? Being that you are in the UK, and have access to the resources???

:eek:

Susan, I'll leave that to the professionals. ;)

Best wishes,

Mark

11. Baltis Getzendanner

Baltis Getzendanner New Member

It seems to me that modern historians tend to give a big Thumbs-up to Cornwallis as a general. I don't necessarily dispute that opinion but I wonder what exactly it is we base it upon. Has anyone given serious thought to what strategic or tactical decisions made by Cornwallis display a high degree of skill as a general?