Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Oct 29, 2007.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

View attachment 555

Consolidated Catalina

The Catalina was the most widely used flying boat of the war. It flew in all of the major theatres and was employed as a maritime patrol and attack aircraft, a long-range transport, a minelayer, and for air-sea rescue missions.

Originally designated PBY by the US navy, the Catalina entered service with it in 1936. Production of the PBY was meant to cease in 1939, but when hostilities broke out in Europe, orders were received from Britain, Australia, Canada, and Dutch East Indies for the aircraft. The British gave it the name "Catalina", which was recognised by the US navy in 1941. A total of 3,290 PBY aircraft were built during the war.

Several individual examples of the Catalina were flown by the RAAF squadrons in RAF Coastal Command, but the majority of Australian "Cats" were flown in the Pacific. The first aircraft arrived in February 1941 and were heavily employed thereafter. They suffered heavily in the initial months of the war against Japan, and by April 1942 eight of the original batch of ten had been destroyed. A steady flow of Catalinas to the RAAF was maintained throughout the war and 168 were ultimately delivered.
    In the early years of the war, RAAF Catalinas in the South-West Pacific were predominantly used to bomb Japanese shipping and port facilities. Later in the war, the Catalina's main role was as a minelayer. Generally flying by night, and painted all-black, the minelaying Catalinas operated around most Japanese ports in the South-West Pacific, including along the Chinese coast. For obvious reasons, they were nicknamed the "Black Cats". Australian Catalinas were also operated in the transport and air-sea rescue roles. By the end of the war they equipped four operational squadrons (11, 20, 42, and 43), two communications units (6 and 8), and three air-sea rescue flights (111, 112, and 113). The last Catalina was withdrawn from RAAF service in April 1950.

Specifications:

Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina

Type: Long-range flying boat Entered service: 1936 Crew: 8 Wing span: 31.72 m Length: 10.45 m Weight (unladen): 17,526 kg Ceiling: 5,517 m Endurance: Maximum range 4,898 km Speed: 315 km/h Armament: 2 x .50-in Browning and 1 x .303-in Vickers machine-guns

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Aha, thanks for reminding me Spidge. Once again a bookmark long forgotton:

http://www.pby.com/

Covers the entire range of the Consolidated Patrol Bomber range, including the 5

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Some books with RAAF Black Cat focus:
    Lake Boga at War by Brett Freeman (covers US ops as well)
    Catalina Dreaming by Andrew McMillan
    The Cat Has Nine Lives by Fred Robins (fiction but written by Cat crew and based on his experiences)

Also:
    RAAF Flying Boats at War - The Way it Was by Joe Leach

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Attached Files:

5. Antipodean Andy

I've got some internals somewhere of the Black Cat now at the RAAFM. I got to crawl around inside her when she was being restored back in 2001. For a big aeroplane, she was cramped...and she didn't have a full fit out! I'll scan the pics when I come across them during the big clean up I'm having at the moment.

6. The Aviator

The Aviator New Member

You talking about the one in our excellent little aviation museum here in Perth mate?
    That is a big plane. Surprisingly big. Big as the Lancaster in there.
    Great exhibit. Great museum.

The PBY Catalina
    First Flight: 21 March 1935 (XP3Y-1) 9 October 1936 (PBY-1)
    In Service: 1936 – 1957 (Individual Catalinas are still being flown today.)
    Notable: Catalina crews located the German battleship Bismarck after it disappeared in heavy fog in 1941 and the Japanese fleet prior to the Battle of Midway in 1942.

I just happen to have a cockpit photo.

Attached Files:

7. Antipodean Andy

Very cool, TA, looks like the one at Pensacola? Funnily enough, I forgot about the Bull Creek one despite being there a couple of weeks ago and seeing it for the first time. The one I was thinking of was at RAAF Amberley and was being restored for the RAAFM at Point Cook by the same guys that did the A-20s. Can't remember if she's now in store or down at Point Cook as I didn't think they could put her under cover yet.

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Surprisingly minimalist panel, even for that era.

9. Antipodean Andy

You and your big words...era.

10. Antipodean Andy

Latest on the efforts to fully transform the HARS Cat into an RAAF Black Cat:

Restoration Updates - Warbirdz.Net Forum
    Latest at HARS includes:

CATALINA- Fuselage opening cut and Port blister temp fitting, starboard blister being prepared. New blister perspex ordered, front turret sourced, purchased and being shipped to Australia, ammunition bins refurbished, ammo feeds refurbished, 50 cal and 30 cal replica Brownings being sourced, bombadiers perspex front window installed and Mk 26 Naval Bomb Sight installed, one 1,000lb mine rack installed on Port side. Airworthy

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I read a comment the other day somewhere (I can't remember where now) that the Cat was considered obsolete at the beginning of the war! Now that seems doubtful but anyone know what it's status was at the beginning of the US entry. Was it about to be phased out and replaced? If so, with what?

And seeing as it wasn't officially retired until the mid-50s, what replaced it then (sorry, showing my ignorance of US flying boats here).

12. Antipodean Andy

Come the 50s, Kyt, I think the Neptune, and maybe the Tracker, was well and truly regarded as the maritime patrol replacement. A few other attempts at the flying boat were made (nothing springs to mind at present besides the Martin Mars and that's not really a Cat equivalent...Coronado?) but the Neptune and then the Orion really made an impact. I guess you could argue the emerging abilities of the helicopter had an impact as well from an ASR and anti-submarine point of view.

No idea re start of the war though.

Some generalist comments on my behalf for sure but, in my head, that's the way things seemed to have went.

13. spidge

spidge Active Member

14. Geedee

Geedee Guest

Duxford 2006/7. Had two in 2006 but didnt get any pics as had to leave early to go a function :frusty:

And a couple from Dayton

Errrr......Duxford....Dayton....is this a fetish taking pics at places that begin the letter D ?

Attached Files:

• CT1.jpg
      CT1.jpg
      File size:
      74.2 KB
      Views:
    • ct2.jpg
      ct2.jpg
      File size:
      172.7 KB
      Views:
    • ct3.jpg
      ct3.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
    • ct4.jpg
      ct4.jpg
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
    • ct5.jpg
      ct5.jpg
      File size:
      136.6 KB
      Views:
  15. Antipodean Andy

16. Keith

Keith New Member

The Cat.

Hi Andy,
    I have to say that the Catalina is one of the most beautiful aircraft to take to the skies.
    Personally I class it in looks with the Supermarine S6B, and the Supermarine Spitfire for sheer beauty of line and grace.
    As an aeromodeller I can see possibly, one that would be most airworthy and stable in flight, with the body hanging from the wing with the additional benefits of twin engines and amphibian ability.
    Cheers
    Keith

17. Antipodean Andy

Is there much of a following for remote-controlled amphibians/flying boats/seaplanes, Keith?

18. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It must be tricky landing on water. But I would love to see it, and see a model Sunderland

19. Antipodean Andy

I reckon you'd have to make them to a decent scale so as to be a bit more "seaworthy" on park lakes etc. Imagine doing shallow dives to drop charges on pike...:becky:

20. Keith

Keith New Member

Amphibians

Hi Andy,
    We must stop meeting like this !
    I had no idea you could receive "Dad's Army"so far away.
    I know Pike was a bit wet, but theres no need to drop bombs on him.
    Really!
    Cheers
    Keith:plane: