Commonwealth Roll Of Honour Project

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by sniper, Sep 23, 2007.

1. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Spidge,

Right, now i know who your talking about, and your not being harsh at all.

Lost the site with Pierre in Belguim so if you still have could you re-send the link again please. I'll get in touch with him as soon as you send it. Have you contacted him yet? If so what was his reaction to your email?

I'll get the email off to you reference the RSL over the next day or so. Better be ready for a load from Canada as that article i put in the Canadian Family History Magazine should be coming out soon and i'm hoping that it will get a good response. I'm also going to send it to a few British magazines which i'm hoping will also publish it.

Take care All
    Mike (Sniper) :peep:

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

The address is on your email now!

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Thanks Spidge, i'll contact him this evening.

Take care
    Mike (Sniper) :peep:

4. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

I was asked today if I had obtained permission from the local authority to take photos of headstones (for Spidge and Sniper) because "only the person so named doesn't require said authority"!

Is it me????

CTNana

5. sniper

sniper Active Member

You shouldn't need permission from anyone to take photos of headstones especially in cemeteries though if your going to to churchyard it sometimes maybe nice to talk to the vicar first. I've only come across one ill tempered vicar and i asked him who S**t in his cornflakes that morning, after that he was fine.

Hope to chat with you soon
    Mike

6. sniper

sniper Active Member

Just a reminder to the forum that on saturday afternoon i'm off to Canada for 10 days. Last chance to let me know if you need any casualty photos in Ontario while i'm there. I will be visiting the forum while i'm away when i can, just to keep an eye on you, lol.
    take care all
    Mike

7. Wise1

Wise1 Getting Wiser!

I will have the site finished by the time you get :)

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Mike,

Did you get a chance to do that letter?

9. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce that this project has just completed talks with another website who is going to take on all the photos of WW1 Canadian casualties. The Canadian Great War Project are trying to put all information of Canadian service personnel online whether or not they were casualties. Their database includes all those that survived as well and they have records of over 75,000 up online already. Also online they have 6,500 war diary entries, 380 transcribed letters and newspapers articles, 530 images and 380 book/media descriptions. They have a number of volunteers working on transcribing attestation papers.
    As you all know the aim of my project is to get all this information up online so people can access it for FREE. With this partnership we are going to be a huge step nearer to keeping the memory of all service personnel alive forever. You can find their website at Canadian Great War Project

Also i'm now in talks with the old BWMP who have totally re-thought the way they now work. There was a huge rift between the two directors and they have now gone their seperate ways and Richard has now decided to go along the lines of providing photos and information for all WW1 & 2 for FREE. He has totally redesigned the website along with a new name, which is The International Armed Forces Memorial. Anyone can upload photos or information of casualties to the website and anyone can access the information for free. That means that we now have a FREE website for thew British casualties which has been sadly lacking. He does include all other Commonwealth and Axis Powers casualties.

My plan is to get as many partnerships with other websites as possible so that if one website falls by the wayside at least there will be other websites who will still be holding photos.

My time is now being spent uploading photos to websites and if anyone can get out there and take some photos and send them to me it would be really appreciated. You will be credited with the taking of the photos as will this project.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them, i'll only be too pleased to answer them.

Take care All
    Sniper

10. sniper

sniper Active Member

The link above does not work so please copy and paste it into your browser.

Sniper

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The link has been fixed.

Great progress, Sniper. Congratulations

12. sniper

sniper Active Member

Thanks for fixing the link Kyt.

Really starting to make progress now but there's never enough time in a day to get everything done.

Take care
    Sniper :peep:

13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Then be thankful I've not had chance to do any work on this for a few weeks. though there has been mutterings about doing some more graves soon.

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

Exceptional negotiation skills my good man.

A history that will last forever for free.

15. sniper

sniper Active Member

The more the merrier Kitty, i like to stay busy. Just been uploading CT's WW1 Northamptonshire photos to the website. Don't be shy Kitty send along your photos and i'll get your name up in lights, haha.

Thanks Spidge, it sure did take some long emails and chats on the phone to the guy in the US to get this sorted out quickly.

Take care All

16. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I first have to teach my mother how to crop photos and rename files. and to move photos into files. Oh god theres a headache in the offing.

17. sniper

sniper Active Member

I know your up to the challenge Kitty. It took me over a month to master copy and paste, lol. Just be glad your not trying to teach me when i first got on the computer. I look forward to recieving the photos when you get them sorted. You could of course just burn them all to a cd and i'll sort them out if you don't want a headache.

Take care

18. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Mike

Finally, after more than a month has passed since promising, managed to get to the Perth War Cemetery and Annex. Remarkably easy from where I work. Rather ridiculous how easy actually. I rattled off all of the RAAF guys for Spidgeman but also got your remaining Canadian, McCutcheon. Will email you as they are large files.

Andy

19. sniper

sniper Active Member

Many thanks Andy.

I look forward to recieving it.

Take care
    Mike :peep:

20. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Mike,

Any value with Pierre in Belgium

Cheers