Charles Meyrick Pritchard - Welsh Rugbyl International

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by liverpool annie, May 13, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

In Memory of
    Captain CHARLES MEYRICK PRITCHARD

12th Bn., South Wales Borderers
    who died
    on 14 August 1916
    Former Welsh Rugby Football International.

Remembered with honour
    CHOCQUES MILITARY CEMETERY

PRITCHARD, CHARLES MEYRICK (1882-1916), Wales and Newport Rugby forward

b. Newport 30 Sept. 1882, son of John Pritchard, one of the founders of the Newport Rugby Club. He was educated at Long Ashton school and Newport intermediate school. He played his first game for Newport at the age of 19 and held his place in that team for ten seasons and captained his side for three years. Between 1905 and 1910 he played for Wales in fourteen international matches. He continued to play for Newport until the end of the season 1910-11. He went to France with the South Wales Borderers (3rd Gwents) (Bantams) during the 1914-18 war, and attained the rank of captain. He succumbed to wounds received when in action on 15 Aug. 1916.

2. liverpool annie

Charles M. Pritchard,was part of the famous Welsh side that beat the All Blacks in 1905 !

3. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Pritchard, Charles Meyrick played for Wales

Internationals: 14 : 1904 I- ; 1905 E+ S+ NZ+ ; 1906 E+ (1t) S+ I- SA- ; 1907 E+ S- I+ ; 1908 E= ; 1910 F+ E-

Charles Pritchard was born on 30 December 1882, in Newport

Played as a Forward for: Newport Intermediate School, Long Ashton, Bristol, Newport

Profession: Wine merchant

Remarks: He was just under 6 feet tall and weighed about 13 stone 10 pounds. A powerful runner, with an excellent swerve. He made his first class debut for Newport v [the previously undefeated] Swansea when aged 19, in front of 12000 spectators. He played for Newport (3-6) v the 1905 All Blacks, and was rated as the best Welsh forward in the International v New Zealand, fellow International George Travers said, “He sent ‘em down like ninepins”. He played for Newport (0-8) v the Springboks in 1906. Although selected to play v Scotland in 1910, he withdrew to allow clubmate E Jenkins to play.

War service: Temporary Second Lieutenant from 31 May 1915, Lieutenant from 28 July 1915, later Captain from 31 October 1915, 12th Battalion (3rd Gwent), South Wales Borderers, 119th Brigade, 40th Division; Mentioned in Despatches.

Within two months of arriving on the Western Front, he was mortally wounded in a prisoner-taking raid on enemy trenches. “Have they got the Hun?” he asked as they bore him to a treatment post. “Yes,” someone told him. “Then I have done my bit,” were his last words, according to the report in the Illustrated London News. He died of wounds the next day, on 14 August 1916, at No 1 Casualty Clearing Station, Chocques, and is buried in Chocques Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France [Grave I. F. 17.].

4. liverpool annie

Here he is ......

Attached Files:

5. liverpool annie