Captain KEYSER ATKIN - Royal Army Medical Corps

Discussion in 'Military Biographies' started by liverpool annie, Sep 3, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Brave young man .... even though he was taken prisoner - he went back for more ! :(

In Memory of
    Captain KEYSER ATKIN

1st/1st Northern Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps
    who died age 25
    on 06 June 1918
    Son of Peter Wilson Atkin and Nelley Keyser Atkin, of 6, Park Lane, Kersal, Manchester.

Remembered with honour
    MARFAUX BRITISH CEMETERY

Keyser Atkin
    Service: Army
    Date of birth: 09 June 1892
    Year of entry to Mill Hill: 1907
    House at Mill Hill: Collinson House Record

6, Park Lane, Kersal, Manchester. Born 9th June, 1892. 127, M.H. 5, 1907 to 7, 1911, Collinson House. VI. Monitor. School O.T.C. B.A., Jesus College, Cambridge. Doctor, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. Commissioned 8th September, 1916, R.A.M.C. Captain. Died of wounds, 6th June, 1918. Son of Mr. Peter Wilson Atkin, M.A., LL.B., Stipendiary Magistrate, Salford, Manchester; M.H. 1874-77; and Mrs. Atkin. He was probably the finest miniature shot the School O.T.C. Corps has ever had. He went from triumph to triumph till he finished up in the Middlesex team, which won Queen Alexandra's Cup open to all county teams of the British Isles. At Jesus College, Cambridge, he rowed in the VIII. at the head of the river as captain, as his father had done before him. He read medicine at Cambridge and at London Hospital. While in the R.A.M.C. he was taken prisoner but was released and again volunteered for service. From the Lieut-Colonel's letter, dated 8th June, 1918:- "Although he had only been attached to us a short time he had made himself universally popular, and had proved himself several times to be a brave and efficient officer. "We all feel his death to be a great loss to his unit." The Chaplain wrote:- "He died of wounds very peacefully and heroically at the dressing station, which I have been attending. I was immensely struck by my very short acquaintance with him. Amid the admirable patience of the many wounded we were dealing with, he stood out conspicuous."

http://www.millhillatwar.org.uk/Search_Result_view.aspx?Id=6

Attached Files: