Canberra PR 9

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by mfg495, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mfg495

mfg495 Member

I had the honor of being on the last ever deployment of the RAFs Canberra PR9 to the Gulf in 2006. On their return they and the Squadron 39(1 PRU) were disbanded. The Canberra in one form or another served the RAF and other nations for over 55 Years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took over 200 hundred photos of this great aircraft. She will be a sad lose to the service.

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

And what have they replaced her with? Nothing as far I can see, except getting the tired Nimrods to work even harder.

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

One of the truly legendary aircraft. Proud to say the RAAF flew the Canberra as well.

Saw one flying at Waddington (I think) in 99. The display aircraft for the season had been restricted from rolling during the display so the crew, wanting to make a point, after a pass, rolled inverted, righted, and then rolled the other way. I've got some prints somewhere.

Being a part of the last deployment must indeed have been an honour, mfg.

4. mfg495

mfg495 Member

The RAF does not now have any "Wet-Film" reconnaissance systems, they do have digital recce pods fitted to Tornado GR4's and Harriers GR7 & 9's. However, 39 Squadron is soon to be re-born as an UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) in the near future.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I hadn't realised it flew operationally so recently.

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The talk of retiring them was going on for a good 15 years (probably more) before the deployment mfg went on. I thought they'd finally been retired in the late 90s but am pleased to see they kept going.

7. mfg495

mfg495 Member

They could have gone on to years, if the money had been there!
    One was sold to an overseas buyer and I think the other two are still awaiting to be sold.
    The third one has remained at RAF Marham on display.