Can USAF penetrate the air defense of Russia and China?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by vashstampede, Mar 19, 2013.

1. vashstampede

vashstampede Active Member

USAF penetrated Iraqi and Yugoslavia air defense like with almost no loss. It was one sided ganking. It made the USAF looked like invincible in the recent wars, but then again these are just small weak countries.

Can the same feat be achieved if the opponent is Russia or China? They both have far more AA batteries and fighter jets, as well as more advanced technologies. Can USAF defeat their air defense? At what cost?

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

You mean now, right? Certainly the US could penetrate, the question would be at what cost. You know, the USAF has still in use planes as old as the B-52 and modern stealth planes. I can't imagine the B-52 doing that well on a bombing raid to Moscow if the air defenses weren't neutralized. So, the real contest would be for air superiority at first, and if the US can knock out the air defenses in a rival super-power in a similar fashion to how they did in the two wars you mention. Let's just hope we never find out.

3. vashstampede

Yes, I mean right now.

The USAF is the largest air force in the world at the moment. Russian air force is the second largest, followed by PLAAF of China.

All three countries have new and old planes, and all three countries are developing new stealth jets.
    US - F-35
    Russia - T-50
    China - J-20 and J-XX

Neither stealth planes are in service. Although the U.S. has 150+ F-22 right now, do you think these stealth jets are enough to knock out the air defense and all the opposing interceptors to achieve air superiority over the other two countries?

Russia already has S-400 in service and they are working on S-500.
    From what I have heard, China has more S-300 than Russia itself. The number was over 400 S-300 a few years ago and plus their own AA.

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I don't think the F-22 would be sent in by itself, nor would it even be the first to be sent in. I'm not an expert in modern tactics by any means, but it seems to me that the initial wave would come from something like Hellfire missiles launched from Reaper and Predator drones, Tomahawk missiles launched by the navy, and maybe even the RIM-161 to take out satellite communications.

5. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

It is to confirm,who gonna strike first?[keeping China aside//US vs CIS-Russia or vice versa]It’s a major factor that opportunity remains favorable who strikes first ...Strategic Naval deployment controls the scenario and enable to led a possible victory,which,both the Countries possesses.

Deploying a huge airborne division/Super air power etc..etc..keeps no sense during fight or added hardly any extra advantages,till be operated by maximum numbers of brilliant aces/guidings.Small countries with limited resources,often stood better,as per History.

Is it possible a gentleman’s war[??]today,I hardly believe!!Both of them are capable with their NWHs to implement the soonest.And for this reason,first attacking is important.

Workable force to the logistical support presently goes in favour of CIS.

Will there be ‘any’ possible Allies?[better if NOT/a trillion would have then missed to see their very next Sun-rise/set]..

Which generals/marshals/commanders[considering sides] ‘ll set the strategy? Era of veni vidi vici,gone with the wind……rattt-tat tat…..boom boom etc……aren’t enough today.Super cyber-hackers may intervene anytime,and possibilities are equal for both.Acquiring Hundred percent electronic-support[most of the so called AAs…… or….IBMs/ICBMs like Superb Human Killers]during the operation from such controlling system,are not possible.

As per available datas[non reliable for me]for the Chinese naval strength, weaker than US/CIS,for both the surface/undersurface missions.For some other different divisions,as per available datas,its pretty good.

Whatever of latest armaments may be possessed by the Sides,only it become fruitful/fateful by the hands of a military genius. Obviously Number makes a sense,but other than a master mind it never be favourable….Fate 'll come through the hand of Him.Without considering these,who can predict...?

Finally the cost….!!!!!!!! You gonna measure casualties[?] Ummm………..May be more than 100 times of Hiroshima+Nagasaki+ Hiroshima+Nagasaki+ Hiroshima+…….Kindly count down the possible nos of Strategically head cities/points adding with each respectable population,finally add respective personnel[may be lower to US Defence Budget...].

6. georgew

georgew Member

Didnt the US lose a stealth fighter/bomber in the Yugoslavia campaign? Surely that has made the chiefs of staff look again at stealth as the be-all and end-all. I agree that air supoeriority is vital but can that not be achieved without conventional fighter/bombers as we know them? Instead use acombination of drones and smart missiles maybe.

7. vashstampede

@ georgew,
    That was a F-117. Its stealth features are outdated, and F-117 is no longer in service.
    There were rumors about how it was shot down. Some said it was a lucky shot because the Yugoslavia air defense already learned the routine of the F-117 flight path and they waited there. Some said the radar locked onto the F-117 when it opened the internal weapon ray which makes it no longer stealth for a few seconds.

@ Peter,
    In order to fire those missiles, the warships and submarines must be fairly close to the coast unless the targets are right along the coast. That will draw in naval confrontation, and air force would certainly be in action too. I believe these ships can't get into firing position without air to air combat taking place first, since jets have a much longer strike range.

8. MannyGr

MannyGr New Member

You sort of answered the question yourself with your "at what cost" remark. The USAF is incredibly powerful and farther advanced than any other country currently is. Many factors come into play though, like are there allies involved and what other troops are involved. If we're just striking Russia or just China with just the USAF, the losses would be pretty terrible since they can focus all of their resources on defending.