British Regimental Badges

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Jan 15, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I love badges ... thought this may help you find the regiment of " your " soldier !! :)

http://www.geocities.com/regimentalbadge/index.html

2. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

Sorry ...Have to be bit of a "killjoy" with this site...

A bit poor I'm afraid...It is badly organised, no explanation, very basic...and riddled with errors...This is labeled as "Lincolnshire Yeomanry" when in fact it is Leicester Yeomanry.

http://www.geocities.com/regimentalbadge/bsr0073.jpg

There is no explanation of Queen Victoria's, Kings and Queen Elizabeth Crowns...A large number of the badges are NOT "pre WW1", some are fakes...Oohh thats enough negativity...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It has a use I suppose as an" initial look around site" but PLEASE don not rely upon it at all...As in family history....Never rely upon anything until it has been verified x3 times (or by me!:D:rolleyes:)

There is not even a Northamptonshire Regt!!!!

3. liverpool annie

4. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

You're right!

The site is down...!

5. forester

forester New Member

6. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

7. liverpool annie

8. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

They still only have around 50% of badges :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: There are a lot of blank boxes, even for "basic" Regts such as the Irish Guards....

And a large amount of the ones they do have are Queens Crown and ergo modern...

Many many badges changed both before and after WW1 and again after WW2...AND AGAIN in 1959 and again in the past couple of years, so what ever list they have, it is out of date!

Sorry to be a downer...Again...

9. liverpool annie

What site do you suggest ? :)

10. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

Me???:D:D:D

11. liverpool annie

I don't suppose you've read all of the last site I posted or have seen all the hard work that has gone into it !! :)

You like to tell me things are no good but you don't offer any alternatives .............. :rolleyes:

Put your thinking cap on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

I have seen that site before, and is useful a starter....for medals. Even then there are discrepancies.

The problem is that there are a number of sites that show a few badges and a number of sites that show some others, but nothing that manages the two volumes of Messers Kipling and King.

They produced the definitive guide to the badges of the British Army, but of course, with the amount of changes in recent years even this needs revision.

Basically...there is nothing COMPLETE on the web, and one has to combine knowledge with books AND the web...It has to be a combination of all of the above until such time that someone does a definitive guide....

Regiments.org was the nearest thing, but that went down some months ago and has yet to resurface. It had only a few images of badges, but the depth of int on there was great.

Some retired American Sgt tried to draw many of the badges, and had quite a good site with other useful int on it, but I haven't seen the site for a while...Booker or something...But of course eevn that wasn't complete. There have been so many variants to Regt badges over the years that they can be compared to "how many grains of sand on a beach" type of rhetorical questioning. Nobody has all the answers....

13. liverpool annie

Alright then !! .....

your next mission ..... should you chose to take it ............... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

As long as my laptop doesn't self destruct in 30 secs! :D

15. scrimnet

scrimnet New Member

Here's the Booker one I was thinking of...I dug through my bookmarks...

http://www.militarybadges.info/

And as you can see...that site is also down...

Actually I've been around EVERY badge site and altered the code, just so I can be smug and prove a point... :)