British Olympians - Wyndham Halswell

Discussion in 'Sportsmen & women' started by liverpool annie, May 1, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Captain Wyndham Halswell Highland Light Infantry, died 31 March 1915. A professional soldier who had served in the Boer War, he won a gold medal at the 1908 London Olympics in controversial circumstances. In the final of the 400 metres he was blocked by one, or two, American opponents and the race declared void. The Americans refused to take part in the re-run and Halswell won by a walkover

On the 12th March 1915 at Neuve Chapelle it was Halswell's company of 1st HLI that succeeded in pushing on and crossing the De Layes. Haswell was wounded by shrapnel during the crossing but in spite of his injuries he would not remain out of action. He dug his heels in and persuaded the medical officers in the Field Hospital to release him and let him return to the battalion. He was still in bandages on the 31st March as he sought to rescue a brother officer. As he went forward he was shot through the head by an enemy sniper.

In Memory of
    Captain WYNDHAM HALSWELL
    Mentioned in Despatches

1st Bn., Highland Light Infantry
    who died age 32
    on 31 March 1915
    Son of Helen Halswell, of Wylmington Hayes, Honiton, Devon, and the late Keeley Halswell. Held the Amateur running records for quarter mile, 300 yards, and 220 yards.

Remembered with honour
    ROYAL IRISH RIFLES GRAVEYARD, LAVENTIE

Inducted into Scottish Athletics Hall of Fame. He won gold in 400 metres at 1908 Olympics, already won silver and bronze in 1906 interim Olympics. Still only British athlete to have complete set of medals excluding relay.
    100 years ago at Edinburgh's Powderhall stadium won 100, 220, 440, and 880 all in one day. Opposition was formidable - previous champions and Olympic medal winners.
    He beat Eric Liddell and the latter could not beat Halswell's time.
    His Scottish record time for 300yards survived until 1961 - when Sir Menzies Campbell beat it.

He was veteran of 4 Boer battles and was mentioned in dispatches.
    He gave an account of fighting at Neuve Chappelle in the same edition of HLI Chronicle which reported his death. " I counted up the company and found it 61 strong, but I am afraid that were a lot who never got further than the first line, and I have lost 3 platoon sergeants in the first rush. I must have started 140 strong. "
    79 men died to gain 15 yards which were given up again within hours.
    He was killed by a sniper.

Details taken from Herald Magazine 12/8/2006