Books for 2008

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kyt, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Oooh, A Hard Way to Make a War might fill some holes and I'm sure From North Africa to the Arakan will be worth a look!

Having said that, People on the Move is an interesting topic. So much more to this conflict than just the military side of things, it is truly sobering. So much to read...

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think I'd want to physically have a look at A Hard Way before deciding. General campaign histories can be tricky.

I agree on the Africa to Arakan - it's on my watchlist.

I've been interested in the social elements of the war for a while and that book certainly looks good.

But I really fancy the Franco/Hitler book - I hope it explores in detail whi Spain stayed neutral, and whatthe plans were for Gibraltor.

4. Antipodean Andy

Would "neutralish" be a better word? :-D Kinda like Turkey - willing to turn a blind eye to RN ships "resting" in its waters and returning downed aircrew to their units fairly quickly?

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Turkey did that for the Allies but Spain interned any Allied escapees. The British embassy had to smuggle them out. But I don't know what Spain did with Germans - probably returned them via Vichy.

6. Antipodean Andy

Yep, sorry, I should have said neutral with a leaning to Germany like Turkey was neutral but had a leaning to the UK etc.

Read last night of German ships transporting ore from Spain that was used to harden shells. Only read it last night and can't remember! Sigh.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης