Bomber Command veteran to get star treatment

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Star treatment for World War II veteran - Huddersfield Examiner - seems like a good exhibition at what is an excellent museum (Halifax!). Hope someone here can make it.

A FORMER engineer for Bomber Command will rub shoulders with the stars.

Huddersfield World War II veteran Ralph Tailford will get the chance to meet one of the nation’s best loved and most respected actors at the opening of a new exhibition.

Against The Odds is a major exhibition at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington, near York.

It will be opened on March 19 by comedy and drama actor Sir David Jason OBE, whose roles have included Del in Only Fools And Horses.

Sir David is planning to fly himself in by helicopter.

He will inspect a contingent of new Royal Air Force recruits from RAF Leconfield before going into a VIP reception to view the exhibition.

Mr Tailford, who lives in Fenay Bridge, is among veterans of Bomber Command invited to the special event.

Mr Tailford is one of the longest standing of the members and volunteers at the Yorkshire Air Museum and flew with Elvington’s home 77 Squadron during the war.

The 85-year-old said: “It will be a great honour to meet such an acclaimed star and I am very much looking forward to meeting him.”

Bomber Command was set up as part of the Royal Air Force in 1939.

Their initial task was to deliver propaganda leaflets urging the civilian German population to withdraw their support for the Nazi regime’s advance through Europe and ambitions for world dominance.

The exhibition will detail and explore the international reasons for its formation and the sacrifice of it’s young airmen, many just in their late teens, from all over the world.

Father-of-three Mr Tailford was part of Bomber Command between 1941 and 1946, working as a flight mechanic and engineer fitter before moving on to flight engineer.

He said: “Throughout my five years in the RAF, I saw some terrible and devastating things which will never leave me.

“I am privileged to be invited to an exhibition which will commemorate all those thousands of fellow veterans killed in action or as prisoner of war.”

The exhibition stands in an original wartime building on a former Bomber Command Station.

Sir David will cut the ribbon to open Against The Odds to the public at 2pm.

Ian Reed, Museum Director, said: “This exhibition will bring the story of Bomber Command to a younger generation, in keeping with the objectives of this unique memorial to allied air forces.

“This is probably the most fitting place in Britain for it to be located and we are especially pleased and honoured that our life member Sir David Jason has agreed to undertake this rare public appearance to open Against The Odds on our behalf.”

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Only fools and Helicopters......................er sorry!

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Oh Del Boy!