Bomber Command 5 Group "Raid Cards"

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by David Layne, Mar 20, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Looks like you're right Chris ... I found this ... :)

BBC - WW2 People's War - A Bedfordshire Bomb Aimer - Part Two

2. liverpool annie

3. CJames

CJames New Member

Does anyone know who's signature is on the bottom left of this certificate??

opts Hamburg.jpg

chris

4. liverpool annie

Isn't it this guy ??

Air Chief Marshal Sir Ralph Alexander Cochrane, GBE, KCB, AFC, RAF (24 February 1895–17 December 1977) was a British pilot and Royal Air Force officer, perhaps best known for his role in Operation Chastise–the famous "Dambusters" raid.

5. CJames

CJames New Member

No No bottom left of the photo

The artist, or one of Cochrane's officers ??

chris

6. BGood

BGood New Member

I have three raid cards from 44sqn Rhodesia on a bomb raid, one signed by an AOC of 5 Grp in 1942, the artist was Pollen, I will upload them when scanner working.

7. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Excellent, I look forward to seeing them.

8. BGood

BGood New Member

Two Raid card pictures

Here are the two pictures i have scanned in, both raid cards, one for Genoa and the other Milan (who is the officer signing this one)

Does anyone have any info on the raids etc, I would be interested to find out more as Jowers is a family friend I am researching and I have most of his information, he was a Flight Engineer on the Lancaster, one of his books is his Engineers notes with handwritten information about the Lancaster on most of the pages. He also had aerial photos of the bombings that took place, ie. Bremen, Paderborn, Wesel, Osnabruck, Nordhausen, to name but a few

Also can anyone tell me where RAF Strubby was, I cannot find any info on it.

Attached Files:

9. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi BGood,

Raf Strubby was
    3 miles SW of Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire. Try pasting this into your internet bar on the top of the page. RAF Strubby airfield
    Good luck with your research

Sniper