Bomb Disposal Squad

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Ashley, May 3, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Trying to find out about Bomb Disposal Squads, My uncle was called up I'm told aged 18 and as he could drive was posted (not sure if he had a choice) to London and into Bomb Disposal, not even sure of the year but know he was there a famous cinema got a direct hit with many if not all in killed,(if that dates such?) and by the time Rommel appeared to have the upper hand in North Africa (1942?) he had been transferred there, any help as to which unit etc much welcomed

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Ashley

it is very difficult to ascertain units and locations. Firstly, was he army or RAF? They both had BD units (as did the RN). Secondly, do you know if he reached officer rank? If so, then what was his full name because we can try to locate him in the London Gazette.

I think the best thing to do is try to get hold of his service records:

Service records

This can only be done by the next of kin - either his spouse or his children. If he had neither then you need to ascertain and prove who the NoK is.

When applying for his records make sure to ask for photocopies of the original file.

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Def Army, have couple of photos of him with BD Lorryand am next of kin didn't make it as officer and that's all I know of him, funnily enough I do have his grandfather's original commision papers as a Lieutenant dated 8/05/1886!

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

In which case he was probably Royal Engineers.

Apply for his records, and when you get them then we will be able to help you more in finding details etc

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Am enclosing couple of pics, afraid nothing to identify other than lorry name! No one left "that side of family" and lost touch about 1960 when my parents divorced, only on death of my mothers did I come across these, uncle was the tall young chap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This gives a good outline of Bomb Disposal Sections:

BBC - WW2 People's War - Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal in WWII

8. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Just occurred to me I (and my Dad of course) am next of kin for my Grandad who was REME. I even know his service number off by heart.