Best light machine-gun of the war ...

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by GearZ, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Member

A video I recently watched got me to thinking of this question: what do you consider to have been the best light machine-gun of the War? For the sake of discussion, this would be a light machine-gun chambered in a rifle cartridge, fed by a detachable magazine, and designed to be employed by an individual soldier (with or without an assistant gunner). Examples would be the American BAR, the British Bren, the Japanese Type 99, the Soviet Degtyaryov, and Czechoslovak ZB.

Enjoy. :)

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

The Bren gun get's my vote. Highly accurate and reliable. it was so good it remained in service with the British Army (after being re-chambered to fire 7.62mm ammunition) until the 1980's.

3. GearZ

GearZ Member

Yah, I'm going with the Bren too due to its longevity, reliability, and versatility (it was carried and mounted on a lot of stuff). After reviewing the Type 99 again, I have to say it is a close runner up, if not the winner. It pains me to say this, but the BAR was mediocre in the LMG roll. Oh, it is a half-way decent automatic rifle, but it was outclassed by others. From what I've read the Soviet DP and Czech ZB (of which other designs were based upon) were solid light machine guns. Everything I've read indicates the Italian Breda 30 and Japanese Type 11 were jam-o-matics of epic proportions.

4. I would also have to go with the Bren. I had the chance to put some rounds through one a few years back and just thinking about it brings a grin to my face. The BAR has my vote for #2.

5. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Yeah .... the British Bren, and if spraying of leads wasn't the Ultimate doctrine for lmg! ... lol