Berkshire Regiment

Discussion in 'Regiment Histories' started by sniper, Dec 20, 2009.

1. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi All,

Just thought i would add my some of my resources for use by the forum members.

I have a copy of the war diaries of the 1st and 5th Battalions of the Berkshire Regiment. The 1st Battalion diary covers 1940-1946 and the 5th Battalion covers 1937-1945.

I am willing to do any look ups for any members who need imformation on either of these Battalions during WW2.

Sniper :assassin:

2. graeme clarke

graeme clarke New Member

Hi Sniper,

many thanks for the offer

Any chance of posting

1st Battalion, Royal Berks for

Sunday 11 June 1944

Many thanks,

Graeme

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Quite specific Graeme - Looking for something in particular from D-Day + 5?

4. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Graeme,

Actually Geoff they were in Raipur, Burma. This is what i have as listed in the war diary for the 1st Battalion Berkshire Regiment on the 11/6/1944.

At 0645hrs the C.O. called the Div and briefed in respect of a fighting patrol to proceed through ZAKAMA leaving there an arty OP protected by one section, thence to the wooded knoll on the end of VISWEMA spur. The patrol, of one platoon in strength under Lt Burbridge, left at 0830hrs. Village reported clear at 1100hrs. Concentration of arty knoll at 1115hrs. No enemy seen. Wireless communication lost, but patrol sighted at 1300hrs. 1720hrs two men returned from patrol report patrol bumped enemy had to withdraw. They lost touch and returned via VIZWEMA. The main force returned via VISWEMA, Evacuating thier wounded via KHASHAMA. Casualties were one officer wounded, two other ranks killed, six other ranks wounded, two other ranks missing. Enemy - at least 13 killed.

That is what i have in the diary for that date. Hope that helps you mate. If you need any more dates let me know and i'll be more than happy to post them up for you.

Cheers
    Sniper [Mike]

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

You can see I really know my British units[​IMG]

6. graeme clarke

graeme clarke New Member

Mike,

many thanks indeed.

Have been researching

Private 5120677 Cyril Norman HODSON

who is on the Walsall RoH.

Regards,

Graeme

7. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Graeme,

Is this the day he was killed? As i said if you need any other dates put up let me know and i'll only be too pleased to put it up for you. Glad i was able to help you.

Sniper [Mike

8. graeme clarke

graeme clarke New Member

Hi Sniper,

No, my information was that he died of wounds but this seems to fit in with the War Diary for the day in question.

I presume no one is mentioned by name in the WD ?

Graeme

9. sniper

sniper Active Member

Mainly officers names given but occasionly OR names are mentioned. Did he win any gallentry medals or was he ever promoted?

Sniper [Mike]

10. graeme clarke

graeme clarke New Member

Hi Sniper,

No, not as far as I am aware,

Graeme