Beginning a search

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by Sidney, May 13, 2014.

1. Sidney

Sidney New Member

a friend of mine has a WWI Victory Medal and thought it would be a good idea to try to trace the decendants of the soldier - sounds a tall order but maybe this forum can help us get started on the trail
    Our man is 28608 PTE. L.REES. RIF. BRIG.

2. 2times

2times New Member

Good luck!
    Many WWI veterans have already had their passing sadly. But I'm sure that you could find the family of whoever it belongs to! Let me know if you find any more information.

3. stardisgate

stardisgate New Member

Do we have any sites we can do searches like this on? My grandfather was in the Army but I am not too sure of any of his information.

4. Kate

Kate Active Member

The last WWI veteran died in 2012 at 110 years old... so they're all gone now, yes... and most of them many years ago.

If you watch the obits in the newspaper, many of the WWII vets are passing daily now, too. It will be the end of what's been called "The Greatest Generation."

To answer these questions about finding veterans' families, I usually start with ancestry . com. If you know the area they lived, it's a good start. Military records are helpful for a lot of things, but not finding their family.