Beevor causes controversy....again

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kyt, May 29, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

To be fair, it seems more than likely that the controversy is caused by sensationalist media interpretations rather than Beevor. Based on the previous outcries against his books, I am sure that what he actually says in the latest book is nowhere as sensationalist or controversial as is being made out below. Max Hastings has had the same problems with media reviewers interpreting his works wrongly:

D-Day bomb raids were 'close to a war crime' says author | Mail Online

The bombing of Caen was a disaster, and this isn't the first book to have said so. Nor is this the first book to highlight that the Normandy civilians were very antagonistic towards the Allied soldiers after the invasion - even official advice to troops at the time warned them to be careful because the civilians hated them for the death and damage that was inflicted,

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

A good review - seems that the book isn't as bad as some claim ;)

Review: D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor | Books | The Guardian

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

And Max Hastings seems to like it too :) I think I will buy a copy

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor review | Non-fiction book reviews - Times Online

4. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

This is Charles Moore's review of Beevor's book in the Telegraph - he seems to approve of the book as well.

He starts by contrasting it with Alan Clark's review of Max Hasting's book in which he expresses some bizarre views. Keith : please don't get too cross about this; I'm sure none of us would agree with Alan Clark's views, and he was not really taken seriously as a historian, or in any other aspect!

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy: fear and cruelty in sun-dappled orchards - Telegraph

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The book just arrived, and as is usual with Beevor's books, it is a brick :) I found his other books very readable and this looks to be the same.

I do find it interesting that recent books have all been called controversial by the media, be they be by Hastings, Beevor, Roberts etc.

Why exactly?

Because they include new research? Not really. Even though most of these authors have had access to new archives, most of their sources have been around for years.

New intreprations?

Maybe. But some of the "new" intreprations have been voiced before in lesser known books and articles.

Media hype?

I think is the main reason for many of the so-called "controversies". Many of the newspaper reviewers (not the main ones above) don't really have a grasp of the subject. I often feel that some reviewers don't even read the entire books but rather dip into the index, looking for their particular interest/peeve, and read those passages out of context. From that little reading they spin an entire review and accuse the author of all sorts of things that don't reflect the book at all.

6. fenquat

fenquat New Member

I have dropped several hints that I am interested in this book. I will either get it on Father's day as a gift...or I will get it the nexxt day on my own. There must have been a half dozen or more seperate reviews and articles in the London papers prior to it's offical release.