Battle of Point Pleasant

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Patriot, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Patriot

Patriot New Member

The Battle of Point Pleasant occurred some 9 years after the French & Indian War & about 6 months prior to the American Revolutionary War. It was the final act of what history has labeled Lord Dunmore's War.

John Murray, the governor of VA & AKA Earl/Lord Dunmore, had a plan to stop violence against the White settlers of the Ohio Valley. He would lead an army of some 1700 men out of the north & Andrew Lewis would command a group of about 800 across the Kanawha Valley. On 10 October 1774, Cornstalk & 1200 Native Americans attacked Lewis' army at the confluence of the Ohio & Kanawha Rivers -- Point Pleasant. Thomas Jefferson in his "Notes on the State of Virginia," said Cornstalk's group was made up of Shawanees, Mingoes, and Delawares

According to information found online, "As a condition of the subsequent Treaty of Camp Charlotte, Native Americans relinquished property and hunting claims on land south of the Ohio River. Consequently, the Battle of Point Pleasant eliminated Native Americans as a threat on the frontier for the first three years of the Revolutionary War and cleared the way for more rapid settlement of the region."

In the early 1900s, Livia Nye Simpson Poffenbarger, an editor for a Pt. Pleasant newspaper, started a crusade to have the Battle of Point Pleasant designated as the first battle of the Revolutionary War instead of the traditional Lexington/Concord. According to some of the battle's participants, Dunmore & the Shawnees, etc. were in cahoots. It was Andrew Lewis' belief that Dunmore had never intended to meet up with his army. Lewis believed that Dunmore anticipated the start of the Revolutionary War & double-crossed them in an attempt to weaken the citizen militia. Poffenbarger based her campaign on these dissenting views.

In 1908 she got her wish. Online information states the following:

"Poffenbarger's efforts resulted in an act passed by Congress on February 17, 1908, entitled, 'A Bill to aid in the erection of a monument or memorial at Point Pleasant to commemorate the Battle of the Revolution fought at that point between the Colonial troops and Indians, October tenth, seventeen hundred and seventy-four.'"

In 1991 WV Senator Robert Byrd addressed his peers:

"I ask my colleagues to join me today in remembering those whom many believe to be the first military veterans in our Nation's history. I am speaking of the militiamen of the Battle of Point Pleasant, a battle waged in my home State of West Virginia--at that time, Virginia--and officially recognized in 1908 by the 60th Congress as the First Battle of the Revolutionary War.
    "On October 10, 1774--6 months before the `shots heard 'round the world' were fired at Lexington and Concord--800 rugged colonial militiamen, under the command of Col. Andrew Lewis, met and defeated 1,000 Shawnee Indians commanded by Chief Cornstalk at the confluence of the Ohio and Great Kanawha Rivers. If the Shawnees had claimed victory, an alliance with the British may have developed and weakened the position of the colonists. However, the colonists' defeat of the Shawnees demonstrated their military potential and strengthened their stance of independence from official British colonial policy.

"The battle and the subsequent peace treaty with the Indians brought relative peace to the Ohio frontier for several years and opened the way for further westward movement by American settlers into the Midwest. But most importantly, it freed the American patriots from having to fear a rearguard Indian attack on the Virginia frontier as the rebellious colonies struggled for their liberty against the King's soldiers during the Revolutionary War.

"At the Battle of Point Pleasant, our forefathers took a bold and courageous step toward securing freedom and asserting their independence. The service of these militiamen was a true pledge of allegiance to liberty and self-government and I take pride in honoring the forgotten men who helped shape the destiny of our Nation.

"I ask unanimous consent that the list of names of those who fell in battle and were buried at `the Point' on October 11, 1774, be printed in the Record."

There was no objection.

First Battle of the Revolution?

Mike Peters

2. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

I see this to be another attempt by historical engineers to rewrite the history books with regard to intent. Consider the following;
    1. George Washington's trip to the forks was on behalf of the Ohio Company of VA. If the French left, then the land was open to settlement and hugh profits for the company. It mattered not that it was the Indian's land. One could say that the F & I War was started by greed. I would submit that the battle in question was more a move to clear the Indians out of land wanted for sale and settlement.

3. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Mike,

I fear I agree with Ben on this one. In my honest opinion, this was no more than a grab for more land to colonise. Subsequent events have been no more than an attempt to justify the action, and should be considered revisionist.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the view that Dunmore was somewhat luke warm in his attempt to participate in the campaign, this illustrates the problems posed by a British government who were determined that no further expansion in colonisation should take place, and Governors who had 'some' sympathy with, or determined to maintain peace with, colonists.

Best wishes,

Mark

4. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Ben & Mark:

Appreciate the replies. I don't know exactly where I stand on this, but I'm leaning in your direction. It is an interesting battle & many of the participants did go on to see action in the Colonies' quest for independence.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,

Mike Peters

5. The General

The General New Member

Are there any reasonably priced book-length studies of the Battle of Point Pleasant, Mike?

I know nothing at all about it other than our conversations about it, and I'd like to learn more.

Eric

6. markpeters

markpeters New Member

A pleasure Mike.

I think there are a couple of interesting points that affected Dunmore's performance.

Firstly, the action was in response to acts of agression carried out by the Shawnees.  As Governor, he was duty bound to protect the colonists, yet their occupation of land to the west of the Appalachians was in direct contravention of the 1763 Proclamation. 

Secondly, Dunmore was a career politician.  It must be remembered that the 1st Battle of Point Pleasant saw Dunmore beat the Shawnees.  The action you refer to was an unsanctioned action undertaken by Lewis, whilst negotiations were taking place elsewhere.  Why Lewis chose to do this is obvious!

In my opinion, Lewis and the subsequent claimants are being more than economical with the truth.  I believe that revisionist history is nothing new.

Best wishes,

Mark

7. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric:

There is one book written on the subject, of which I'm aware. And it wouldn't qualify as a definitive work. It was written by Livia Nye Simpson-Poffenbarger, the editor mentioned in my original posting, & is slanted accordingly. It is entitled "Battle of Point Pleasant October 10, 1774: First Battle of the Revolution" & is available at Point Pleasant's "Tu-Endie-Wei" Park. About half the 150-page book is dedicated to the battle. The other half contains some bios of the major players & a roster of the Colonial soldiers who participated.

Respectfully,

Mike Peters

8. The General

The General New Member

Mike,

It doesn't sound like that one's particularly good.

I guess I need to make a trip down there and see the ground....

Eric

9. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric:

While it's not the most informative, it does give you the basics. And it is a quick read.

It's a quaint little piece of ground located at the confluence of the Ohio & Kanawha Rivers that you definitely need to visit. Just recommend a weekend that's more hospitable than the present one. As you are well aware, it's a little frigid now.

Mike Peters

10. The General

The General New Member

Mike,

When it gets a bit warmer, let's do it.

Eric

11. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Hoss, that sounds like a plan!

Mike

12. tonyt

tonyt New Member

Let me know when you are heading for Point Pleasant sounds like a trip I would like to make as well .
    Tony

13. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric, et al:

I did find a couple of other Pt. Pleasant titles:

"History of the Battle of Point Pleasant - Fought Between White Men and Indians - at the Mouth of the Great Kanawha River (Now Point Pleasant, West Virginia) - Monday October 10th, 1774 - The Chief Event of Lord Dunmore's War" by Virgil A. Lewis & originally published in 1909.

"The Battle of Point Pleasant, An Address," by Landon C. Bell & published in 1931.

Respectfully,

Mike Peters

14. The General

The General New Member

Thanks, Mike. I will try to track them down.

Eric

15. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Eric:

According to information I have obtained, Virgil Lewis takes an opposing view to Poffenbarger's. He agrees that the Battle of Pt. Pleasant was a significant one, but does not label it as the Revolution's initial bout. He calls it the "connecting link between two of the greatest periods in all American history-closing, as it does the one (Colonial) and opening the other (Revolutionary)." He was adamant that the battle was not part of the American Revolutionary War.

Bounties, land grants & pensions were not available to men who fought only at Pt. Pleasant. The government did not consider these soldiers Revolutionary War vets. And heirs of the officers who had died 10 October 1774 never sought such.

Interesting ...

Mike

16. The General

The General New Member

Mike,

Interesting indeed. It just makes me want to learn more about this.

Eric