B-17 in Dambusters?

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Kyt, May 12, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I've never seen it in the one shown in Britain - have any of our American members seen the US version?

Times Archive Blog: Never mind the Dam Busters dog; what about that US plane?

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Certainly haven't seen it myself. One wonders about the veracity of putting in a Fort for two seconds to appease the American audiences. Not worth it.

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I'm suprised that Warner Bros allowed the Fort to be the one that explodes!

The whole idea doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

True, but I suspect we are stuck with it. Perhaps a wrong real aircraft is better in a film than the correct CGI one?

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

And in todays paper? Americans claiming that their super dooper aviation fuel made the Spitfires perform good enough to win the BoB. Duh

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

A waste of internet space I think!

6. Von Richter.

Von Richter. New Member

When Richard Todd went across the pond to premiere the film for the Yanks, one Hollywood bigwig said.
    "Gee Richard, great movie... is it a true story?"

:brick:​

7. *Arf*

*Arf* New Member

Apparently the US isn't the only one in agreement with that claim.

RSC Press Release: The secret fuel that made the Spitfire supreme

But then, if it is true or not, does it change the fact that both nations worked together to defeat a common enemy or that one nation, in a most difficult time in it's history was getting assistance from a nation that was willing to help?

A bit later a good engine from one country is combined with a good airframe from another to transform both into a great fighter. It benefitted us both.

Do we need to make enemies of ourselves now?

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

No, but due appreciation of each country's achievements do need to be acknowledged so as not to diminsh the contributions and sacrifices made by each country - especially so that current and future generations may really understand the war,