Axis POW's Australia

Discussion in 'Prisoners of War' started by spidge, Mar 27, 2008.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

2. johnofmelb

johnofmelb New Member

3. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi John,

Is this one of your interests, POW's i mean?

Mike

4. johnofmelb

johnofmelb New Member

Not particularly, although I have a fairly avid interest in Australian history and our prison camps were part of that history.

I found this stuff when reading up on the Sydney Kormoran battle, now that, I do find interesting.

5. sniper

sniper Active Member

Being a Brit i don't know anything of this battle, don't suppose you'd like to write a summary of the events so i could get up to date with what happened would you?

Mike

6. johnofmelb

johnofmelb New Member

There's actually a page on this forum dealing with the battle.
    HMAS Sydney

Basically, Kormoran ( a German commerce raider) encountered HMAS Sydney (modified Leander class light cruiser) about 150 miles off the western Australian coastline. Sydney approached and demanded Kormoran ( then disguised as a Dutch ship) to identify itself. A fierce battle ensured, at very close range, resulting in Sydney being lost with all hands. About 80% of the German crew either made it to the coast or were picked up by ships from lifeboats.

There's been a couple of investigations and the wrecks of both ships were found a few years ago in very deep water.

There's been a number of conspiracy theories put forward over the years, from the very plausible, to the bizarre, there's also a number of things in the "official" story which just don't add up.