Avro Lancaster

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Oct 1, 2007.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

I think this is the first Canadian Lancaster.

[​IMG]

2. David Layne

Another 83 Squadron aircraft.

[​IMG]

3. David Layne

This one is from 115 Squadron.

[​IMG]

4. David Layne

I know nothing about this aircraft.

[​IMG]

5. David Layne

This one has Hercules engines.

[​IMG]

6. David Layne

Here's R 5727. Are those R.A.F. Fortresses is the background?

[​IMG]

7. David Layne

Here are 35 Squadron's aircraft on their post war goodwill trip to the U.S.A.

[​IMG]

8. David Layne

35 Squadron aircraft on the ground in the U.S.A.

[​IMG]

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The lettering and colouring implies that it was an early paint job. As R5482 did serve with 97 Squadron for quite a while, it seems to be just a transportation picture rather than anything untoward.

10. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Shame we can't make out the serial but it is either HK541 or SW244 - tested for possible deployment against Japan

11. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

David, where did post #60 come from? It looks photoshopped

12. David Layne

This aircraft participated in the first Lancaster operations by both 97 and 101 Squadrons. It was involved in an accident on April 5 1942 when with 97 Squadron and is pictured on a Queen Mary trailer being moved to a repair facility.

I believe it only participated in one operation with 97 Squadron being transferred to 101 Squadron when repairs were completed from the April accident.

From 97 Squadron Orbs.

20 March 1942 – Gardening in “Nectarine” Area (Bomb load six mines each)

now flying Lancasters

R5482 C F/L Mackid, P/O Underwood, P/O Tree, Sgts Marshall, McDermott, Bennett, Day. Up 1433 Down 1753. Flew along coast of Ameland, weather poor all way, low cloud. Flew low along the beach at Ameland, machine-gunned buildings, hotel and party of soldiers. Successfully planted. Sighted Me109 and immediately climbed into cloud and set course for home. Very satisfactory trip.

13. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Definitely an RAF Fort under the nose but perhaps a transport of some sort under the bomb bay? My first thought was York as it looks like a twin rudder but the scale is wrong. Hudson or variant perhaps? Hmm, maybe not portly enough.

14. David Layne

Sorry Kyt, only just saw your query. I can't remember where I found it, if i come across it again I will let you know. I don't think its photo shopped.

15. David Layne

What's this Lancaster carrying?

[​IMG]

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

17. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That is a Lancaster MK10 carrying a Ryan Firebee drone - possibly Lancaster KB851? Haven't looked in THE book

18. David Layne

Look at the rust on the trailer, makes you wonder if it was safe to carry that much weight.

[​IMG]

19. David Layne

The Teledyne-Ryan Firebee drone was acquired by the RCAF to provide training for interceptor crews probably in anticipation of the procurement of the CF-105 Arrow interceptor. At the same time, two Lancaster Mk 10 aircraft were reactivated from storage to act as "mother" ships for the drones.

The Lancaster modifications were carried out by Fairey Aviation and included fitting of Firebee launch racks under each wing along with the associated electrical wiring and control units. The Lancasters were then operated by the Central Experimental Proving Establishment and the drones were primarily planned for testing and evaluating of then present and proposed future weapons systems. After release from the launch aircraft, the Firebees under remote control could climb to 40,00 feet in approximately 10 minutes and could be made to perform any maneuver of which contemporary high performance aircraft were capable. An airborne duration of 1 hr 20 minutes was typical. The drones could also be fitted with wingtip mounted radar reflector pods to ensure optimum radar energy reflection. Assuming the drone was not shot down, recovery was then effected by means of a two-stage parachute, which had a built-in flotation system. Refurbishment and re-use for up to 15 operational flights was possible.

[​IMG]

20. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

I reckon that's just the paint flaking off and should be surface rust at most.