Avro Lancaster

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

David Bennett is getting back to me about John Bailey, Kyt. I;ve asked him to ask John what units he served with - Hurris, Wimpys and Libs.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That'll be cool - gave me headache just trying to figure out where to start. But I was referring to David's aircraft when we had that thread on the other :mad2: forum

3. Antipodean Andy

Yep, I'm with you Kyt, I just swapped subjects mid-stride! The stuff you found on David's aircraft was most impressive and I'm still in awe at what's at your fingertips.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Must try to remember what I said, and find the links to the info I found so I can past it here.

Damn those webcams - ahh, never mind I see that you're a fully paid up subscriber :Booty:

5. Antipodean Andy

Fair bit of viewing lately too since you're not sleeping much! :pop2::eek::a025:

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

:clapping: on the clever use of emos

Right, this is a reminder to myself to get a couple of scans done in the morning from "Filming the Dambusters". The book has some lovely shots.

7. Antipodean Andy

Took me a while!

Yes, do it when you're awake!

Back to Lancs...kermit Weeks has one in storage at his Fantasy of Flight complex in Florida. It'll see the light of day one day and may be the only other candidate for flight.
    http://www.warbirdregistry.org/lancregistry/lanc-kb976.html

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

To recap what Andy and I discussed before about David Bennett and the photograph that Andy posted - I discovered the same picture on another website:

[​IMG]

And the accompanying text states:

http://www.hobley97.freeserve.co.uk/raf.htm

However, W5001 never flew with 9 Squadron and was in fact lost with 207 Squadron in May 1943 - it seems to have been a typo and the correct code should be W5011.

David and the rest of the crew subsequently transferred to 514 Squadron (from 9 Squadron) which has a great website:

http://www.514squadron.org/home/home.htm

9. Antipodean Andy

Mt Twinn, the rear gunner, has done a few posts with the BBC re his memoirs. I really must get in touch with him to view his logbook as it is more detailed than David's. David lists target and the occasional "casual" comment like "came home on three engines" and that's pretty much it. Mr Twinn's logbook will provide some good cross referencing as well.

10. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Surpisingly I have not contributed to this thread so will put that right now.

I know nothing about this photo except that I saved it from somewhere.

11. Geedee

Geedee Guest

Here's a few of the CWH Lanc sitting proud and strutting its stuff....

Attached Files:

• ww1.jpg
      ww1.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
    • ww3.jpg
      ww3.jpg
      File size:
      50.5 KB
      Views:
    • ww4.jpg
      ww4.jpg
      File size:
      91.6 KB
      Views:
    • ww5.jpg
      ww5.jpg
      File size:
      100.6 KB
      Views:
    • ww6.jpg
      ww6.jpg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :D

Owen were you at the launch of the 50th anniversary of the BBMF at Duxford last year?

14. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Kitty,

No, I was over there for the show in July. I'll see if I can find my other Lanc shots from that day as well.

I used to try and get to Duxford at least once a year, so I'm going to miss that. They're great displays.

Cheers

Owen

15. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

16. Antipodean Andy

Lovely pics, Gary and Owen. Thanks for posting. The Lanc was sick when I was there in 99.

17. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

No worries Andy.

I just saw your earlier post regarding Bull Creek. I'm keen to go there, so we'll have to organise it when I overnight in Perth.

Cheers

Owen

18. Antipodean Andy

Sounds like a plan!

19. Antipodean Andy

20. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

I can't believe I overnighted in Auckland over the last 6 years and never knew about it!:frusty: