Australian Deaths in the RAAF/RAF. How did they occur? St Vincent

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, May 29, 2008.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

During WW2, Australians in the RAAF and RAF were buried or memorialised in 66 countries. How did these men die? Can you assist?

St Vincent.

CARTER, GEOFFREY JOHN HAMILTON
    Sergeant
    45 TG RAF
    12/04/1943

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Trinidad & Tobago

MORRIS, ALAN ARTHUR
    Pilot Officer
    53sq
    28/09/1942

RISBEY, GEOFFREY THOMAS
    Flying Officer
    53sq
    15/09/1942

WALKER, JACK WARING PAIX
    Flying Officer
    53sq
    15/09/1942

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Albania

Albania

POTTER, DENNIS HILTON
    Flight Sergeant
    624sq RAF
    1/02/1944

TENNANT, EDWARD DRAKE STEELE
    Flight Sergeant
    624sq RAF
    1/02/1944

WADDELL, PETER VICTOR
    Warrant Officer
    249sq RAF
    30/03/1944

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Baltimore IIIA FA314. Destroyed by fire after crashing at Georgetown, St Vincent during ferry flight

Name: FAULKNER, LENNOX DANE
    Initials: L D
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Transport Command
    Date of Death: 12/04/1943
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Cemetery: GEORGETOWN CEMETERY

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks Kyt.

Good to know what happened.

I do have some at Takoradi as well which will possibly fall into the same category.

Cheers

Geoff

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Halifax on special duties flight but I can't find a serial

Flt/Sgt. Edward Drake Steele Tennant R.A.A.F.

Sgt. Francis Cecil Rudolph Burlfinger R.A.F.V.R.

Sgt. George Gardner R.A.F.V.R.

Flt/Sgt Dennis Hilton Potter R.A.A.F.

F/O Ronald Edwin Stanley R.A.F.V.R.

Sgt. James Leo Devine R.A.F.V.R.

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

The only info I have for Waddell is from the Australian roll of honour:

Informal portrait of 401163 Warrant Officer (WO) Peter Victor Waddell of Melbourne, Vic, standing on the deck of the Polish steamer Narvick, which rescued him and seven other Australian sergeant pilots after the arcades was torpedoed. WO Waddell later served with 249 Squadron, RAF and was later lost on operations on 30 March 1944 over Albania.

Photo here: AWM Collection Record: P03809.006 - Informal portrait of 401163 Warrant Officer (WO) Peter Victor Waddell of Melbourne, Vic, standing on the deck of the Polish steamer Narvick, which rescued him and seven other Australian sergeant ...

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Algeria

Algeria

The name of this cemetery is or is not appropriate!

BEALE, HERBERT ELDON
    Pilot Officer
    179sq
    21/01/1943
    Royal Australian Air Force
    Australian
    VII. F. 18.
    BONE WAR CEMETERY, ANNABA

FREEMAN, REGINALD THOMAS ARTHUR
    Flight Sergeant
    458sq
    27/11/1943
    Australian
    I. C. 13.

INGRAM, IAN ROSS
    Flying Officer
    225sq
    29/11/1942
    Australian
    VI. A. 16.

MUSCHIALLI, LOUIS JAMES
    Flight Sergeant
    458sq
    27/11/1943
    Australian
    I. C. 16.

REID, GORDON KEITH
    Flight Sergeant
    458sq
    27/11/1943
    Australian
    I. F. 4.

RICHARDS, JACK
    Flight Sergeant
    458sq
    27/11/1943
    Australian
    I. F. 3.

SANDILANDS, JOHN DOUGLAS
    Sergeant
    15 OTU
    16/02/1942
    Australian
    III. D. 7.
    BONE WAR CEMETERY, ANNABA STRANG,

ALAN LESLIE Sergeant
    21 OTU
    17/02/1942
    Australian
    III. D. 13.

WESTON, RONALD VICTOR
    Flying Officer
    119195 255sq RAF
    6/01/1943
    Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    UK
    Coll. grave VIII. G. 1-13.

WREN, WALTER ROBERT
    Sergeant
    15 OTU
    16/02/1942
    Australian
    III. D. 10.

9. CXX

CXX New Member

15 September 1942.
    53 Squadron.

P/O. Risbey (RAAF) was circling low over Edinburgh Field, Trinidad, in Hudson V. AM727/D trying to land in a rain storm when the aircraft struck a tree and crashed, Risbey, P/O J W P. Walker (RAAF), Sgt A M. Parkin, Sgt N F. Brassington and AMM3C WM. Boots (USN) were all killed.

10. CXX

CXX New Member

28 September 1942.
    53 Squadron.

Hudson V9105/K was lost on an air test on 28 September. The aircraft was found in the jungle three miles south of Rio Clara, Trinidad and had struck the ground in a vertical attitude. P/O A A. Mossis (RAAF), AMM3C G M. Nobes (USN), PFC J H. Fischer, PFC S L. Shipes and Pte Smith (USAAC) were all killed.

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks Peter,

Fantastic info. Couldn't move this project along without you guys.

Cheers

Geoff

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Azores

Azores

JOHNSON, JAMES GEOFFREY
    Pilot Officer
    220sq
    4/12/1943
    Australian
    Row A. Grave 6.
    LAJES WAR CEMETERY
    Azores
    Terceira-Praia

RYAN, NEVILLE VINCENT
    Warrant Officer
    220sq
    8/03/1945
    Australian
    Row B. Grave 10.
    LAJES WAR CEMETERY
    Azores
    Terceira-Praia

13. CXX

CXX New Member

Geoff,

I can't actually put Johnson on this aircraft, don't have a crew list, but the date matches, might give you a lead.

When the time came for a major service of 220 Squadrons Fortresses, every 800 hours, they were ferried to Thornaby. F/O. Desmond E. Morris lifted Fortress FK206 'K' off the planked runway at Lagens at 03:26 hrs in the early morning of 4 December 1943. Thirty seconds later the Fortress plunged into the Atlantic with the loss of all on board.
    The official likely cause was loss of control following the change from visual flight to instruments on a very black night. The bodies of three crew members were recovered - two Canadians and one Australian - to be buried in the civil cemetery at Angra and later moved to the Lajes War Cemetery.

Extract from 'Unsung Sentinels' - R. Stitt.

Regards
    Peter

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

Great sleuthing Peter. I don't think we would need to look further with the above info.

15. St Vincent.

CARTER, GEOFFREY JOHN HAMILTON
    Sergeant
    45 TG RAF
    12/04/1943

Third crew member was the Navigator Sgt Douglas William Perry RAF from Braintree, Essex who died from his injuries on April 13th 1943.
    I live in St Vincent and operate an aircraft from an airfield about one mile from the place where Carter was killed. Having often seen his and Faulkners grave I have over time tried to piece together why their Baltimore FA314 came to crash on this distant small island. The Baltimore was being ferried from the USA to North Africa via the Southern Atlantic ferry route. It departed Nassau, Bahamas for Trinidad but seems to have experienced an engine failure and attempted a forced landing in a sugarcane field along the Atlantic coast of St Vincent. Accident records report they overshot and crashed. A very reliable witness years ago told me he watched them try to abort the landing and on applying power on the good engine crash into tall coconut trees alonside the beach. The aircraft caught fire and the crew lost their lives. My curiosity is the decision to land when there were airfields not too far away where an emergency landing could have been made. I suspect there may have been a fire on board that hastened the need to land. Only a suspicion but one witness very young at the time recalls seeing black smoke trailing and a local newspaper report may give a hint in that direction though censorship prevented them reporting too much.
    Hope this is a help to you, if interested there is a photograph of the wreck online at:
    A history of a local photographer, scroll down for the picture and newspaper report.

16. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Duncan,

Thank you very much for the information, I really appreciate it.

I collect photos of all the headstones of RAAF deaths during WW2 (11,037) as well.

Is there any chance that you know someone there who could provide some photos of the three headstones and some cemetery shots?

Cheers

Geoff

17. I will be back in St Vincent around the 25th of this month so will take them myself and post them here. Carter and Faulkner (Canada) are in the Georgetown Cemetery while Perry (UK) is in the Kingstown Cemetery. There are other war graves there but to my knowledge not Australian. They comprise U Boat victims from 1942, RN accidents (HMS Essiquibo)and West India Regiment deaths.
    I spend a lot of time in Barbados where there is a very large military cemetery dating back to the early 1800's. If you know of any Australians lying there I would be happy to search for them and take photographs.

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Duncan,

Thank you very much for the offer of photo's. I do not have any RAAF lads in Barbados as the only other ones in the Caribbean are at PORT OF SPAIN (ST. JAMES) MILITARY CEMETERY in Trinidad who were with 53sq RAF. One died on 28/09/1942
    and the other two on 15/09/1942

The number of "accidents" as a percentage of deaths was horrendous through the war. While not an exact figure for the RAAF, of 11,035 deaths that I have recorded, some 6,600? were classed as caused by flying battle or in action.

The EATS programme in Canada for example (Empire Air Training Scheme) claimed 147 RAAF lives of which nearly all were accidents in training or accidents landing in bad weather on return from operations.

Cheers

Geoff

19. Geoff
    I was born and raised in Trinidad and in fact did my first solo flight at Edinburgh Field in Dec 68 (it was renamed Carlsen Field) which has since been dug up. If you do not as yet have pictures of the Trinidad headstones I can ask a good friend of mine to take them.
    Regards
    Duncan

20. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Duncan,

I do not have the photos there so I would be most appreciative if you could arrange for your friend to take them for me.

MORRIS, ALAN ARTHUR Pilot Officer 400280 53sq 28/09/1942 21 RAAF Eastern Portion. Grave 19. PORT OF SPAIN (ST. JAMES) MILITARY CEMETERY

RISBEY, GEOFFREY THOMAS Flying Officer 400834 53sq 15/09/1942 22 RAAF Eastern Portion. Grave 23. PORT OF SPAIN (ST. JAMES) MILITARY CEMETERY

WALKER, JACK WARING PAIX Flying Officer 401354 53sq 15/09/1942 23 RAAF Eastern Portion. Grave 22. PORT OF SPAIN (ST. JAMES) MILITARY CEMETERY

Cheers

Geoff