Australian awarded VC for actions in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Other Conflicts' started by Antipodean Andy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Very proud.

Trooper Mark Donaldson receives Victoria Cross for bravery in Afghanistan | Herald Sun

2. Antipodean Andy

This make him the first recipient of the Victoria Cross for Australia.

Soldier awarded VC for Afghanistan bravery - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

3. Antipodean Andy

Brief details of the action. I seem to remember having read of the action previously.

First Aussie soldier in 40 years gets VC > National > LIVENEWS.com.au

4. Antipodean Andy

Here's the link as originally posted on here: http://ww2chat.com/forums/other-conflicts-post-1945/4001-incredible-bravery-afghanistan.html and another brave participant in the same action: http://ww2chat.com/forums/barracks/3608-sas-soldier-wounded-lashed-himself-vehicle-fought.html

Trooper Mark Donaldson awarded Victoria Cross for actions in Afghanistan | National News | News.com.au

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I love this part .... He was at the ceremony with his wife !!

Wonderful story !

Annie

6. John

John Active Member

Trooper Mark Donaldson has carried on the tradition of The Australian Army with his very brave action in Afghanistan. He will wear his VC with pride.
    I believe this is the 97th VC won by Australians in our history of wars.
    :clapping::clapping:

7. war hawk

war hawk New Member

He did a heroic act.:)

8. ABMM

ABMM New Member

Outstanding! I believe that TPR Donaldson might be the first soldier to be awarded the VC during service with the SASR. I'm just glad that it wasn't posthumous. A big win for the chicken stranglers.

That particular contact is going to be a very interesting story when the full details emerge in a few years.

9. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Its good that heroism is still recognised as such.

I heard about this on the BBC Radio 4 6pm news, but I regret to say it wasn't on the BBC1 TV News at Ten, or in the on-line newspaper that I read.