Artillery school

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by The General, Dec 3, 2006.

1. The General

The General New Member

2. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

To whom it may concern
    I am a new member of this web site so it is quite possible that I am not sending a comment to the correct address. Please help me if I am in error'.
    I am a member of the British Brigade and have commanded an artillery piece for the past 25 years. Looking at the arty school picture I wonder as to the position of the #3 and 4 gunners during the firing. We position ours outside the wheels and equal with or just to the rear of the axle line. My email is fourthbnra@hotmail.com
    YMH & OS, Ben Newton

3. The General

The General New Member

Ben,

It's absolutely an appropriate place, and I welcome you to the group. Thanks for the input--that's useful and interesting.

Are you from across the Pond?

Eric

4. tonyt

tonyt New Member

Ben,
    You are absolutely correct any 3 or 4 who cares about their limbs and other body parts need to be outside of the wheels and even with the rear axle . The picture may have been for a tight angle but not accurate or safe.
    Would enjoy any further artillery knowledge of the period you could pass along .
    Tony

5. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Eric
    I live near Gettysburg PA.,have been across the pond several times and always visit Woolwich, traditional HDQ and place of origin of the Royal Artillery. There is a museum "FIREPOWER" which is well worth visiting if anyone goes to England. The museum is located in Woolwich which is not far from London.
    As I am not technologically gifted, close to stone age in computerese, and easilly frustrated, the machine often doesn't do as ordered. Hope this reaches the forum.
    YMH & OS, Ben
    fourthbnra@hotmail.com

6. The General

The General New Member

Ben,

It got here just fine. You're doing fine.

Eric

7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Gentlemen
    In the artillery of the British Brigade we have a six pounder, a three pounder galloper, two grasshoppers, and three butterflies. All of the artillery came under the 4th Bn which was hdq in New York. We try to hold an artillery school once a year.
    YMH & OS, Ben Newton

8. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Ben,

Can you explain what 'grasshoppers' and 'butterflies' were please?

Best wishes,

Mark

9. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Mark
    During the period roughly 1770-1780 two light 3pounder guns and carriages were developed to give the foot "close artillery support". These guns were smaller than the regular light 3pounders and were easier to move around the field. Weight was about 650lbs each.
    The Grasshopper had shafts which were used to carry the gun when necessary. This was called the "Irish method" as 8 Irishmen could be used for this purpose.
    The Butterfly (mine) had no shafts but could be easily hauled around using drag ropes. Also a small wheel (Hanoverian Truck) was attached under the trail transom making steering much easier and eliminating the necessity of lifting the trails when moving.
    Both these were employed as "Battalion guns" which meant they belonged to the Bn and were the Bn Commander's personal arty. Usually two were assigned to each Bn.
    For more detail see Grasshoppers And butterflies; The Light 3 pouinders of Pattison and Townsend by Adrian Caruana Museum Restoration Service, Bloomfield Ont Canada KOK-1G0 or Alexadria Bay, NY 13607 USA
    YMH & OS, Ben

10. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Mark
    Forgot,
    The names probably came about because troops like to give such to their weapons and equipment. When the shafts are in place, the two in the rear resemble the back legs of a grasshopper. The butterfly probably got it's name cause it could move quickly around the battlefield. YMH & OS, Ben

11. markpeters

markpeters New Member

Ben,

Thanks for the information. Foe someone who has had at least two serving ancestors in the artillery, my lack of knowledge in this area is appalling. I am writing a mental note to get up to some sort of speed in this area.

Best wishes,

Mark