Arthur Hall RIP

Discussion in 'Memorials & Cemeteries' started by Kyt, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Navigator who won two DFCs in the night skies over enemy territory

Arthur Hall obituary - Times Online

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A fine man. Would be interesting to read more detail of his life and those of his pilots. RIP.

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

To just survive their time in the Air Force in those dark days was a feat in itself.

RIP

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

DFC Citation 1943

Flying Officer Leslie STEPHENSON (118959) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 153 Squadron.
    Flying Officer George Arthur HALL (120955), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 153 Squadron.
    As pilot and observer respectively, Flying Officers Stephenson and Hall have flown together on a large number of sorties and have displayed great skill and determination throughout. They have been responsible for the destructio of 6 enemy aircraft, 3 of them in one night. Flying Officers Stephenson and Hall have displayed exceptional keenness and fine fighting qualities.

The pair received the Bars to their DFCs in 1945 whilst with 219 Squadron

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Beaufighter Ace covers 219 Squadron but I can't find my blasted copy at the moment so can't check if either is mentioned

6. Antipodean Andy

My copy is still coming surface mail...should be here this month...or it better be! That's the Tony Spooner book? Nope, Pike. What book was Spooner's?

Will be interesting to compare that with Michael Allen's Pursuit Through Darkened Skies.

Oh dear, I can't believe I've remembered all of that...I've become an RAF book anorak! Kinda like it, actually...:p

7. Antipodean Andy

You know you're going mad when you answer your own question!

8. Antipodean Andy

Oh dear, I just googled Spooner's books.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Ha, at least my excuse for daft posts is that I'm usually writing them at 3 am!!

It was the Pike book - the Spooner book is Night Fighter Ace