Anzac Day

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by liverpool annie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

We remember Gallipoli .........

We are coming up to Anzac Day and I thought we might think of all the soldiers who were there ...... the Gallipoli campaign was important for the Australians for several reasons. Most important reason probably being that it gave birth to a feeling of nationalism. Australian self awareness if you like - Gallipoli is therefore very strongly embedded in Australian 'remembrance' and rightfully so.

Nationality Total casualties Killed

Australian 26,094 7,594

New Zealand 7,571 2,431

British Empire (excl. ANZAC) 171,33 119,696

French 47,000 27,000

Turkish 251,309 - unknown

May we always remember the sacrifices these men made and pray they did not die in vain. It is up to us, the living and descendants of these soldiers, to make sure their deaths are remembered, and the reason for their deaths. Some made it home and died years later, but still carried the scars of war.

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

The plan for landing the 29th Division on the Gallipoli Peninsula at Cape Helles on 25 April 1915 was that five beaches were to be attacked simultaneously.

The main attack was to be on V and W beach, a subsidiary attack on X beach and flanking parties on S beach (Morto Bay) and Y beach

It was decided by the Allies to make a daylight landing because of the navy’s fears about local currents and reefs, which made them hesitant about landing a large body of men at night.

The landings were supported by 18 Battleships, 12 Cruisers, and 29 Destroyers

The landing at 'V' Beach was to be made by The Royal Munster Fusiliers, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Hampshire Fusiliers, West Riding Field Royal Engineers, together with Field ambulances and Anson Battn RN Division

All the troops were under the command of Lieut-Colonel Carrington-Smith of the Hampshire Regiment

http://ww1.osborn.ws/v_beach.htm

http://ww1.osborn.ws/river_clyde_landing.htm

3. Roxy

Roxy Member

Don't forget that ANZAC Day is important to NZ as well!

No 5 Sqn RNZAF were present at last year's commemoration at the site of the former Dallachy Strike Wing, up here in Moray. Possibly the northernmost commemoration?

Roxy

4. spof

spof New Member

Absolutely! The New Zealanders did capture the highest ground of any Allied force in the campaign.

Let's not forget the "6 VCs before breakfast" of the British. Or the truly forgotten men of the Dardenelles - the sailors who died when the battleships steamed in a few months before the landings.

As for the French, I only found they out were involved about 2 years ago.

As Annie says - it's a day to remember ALL the men.

Glen

5. Jerome

Jerome Member

I have only started my research into WW! so don't know of any West Indians who took part at Gallipoli, never the less, this will be the 5th year that Trinidad celebrates Anzac Day, courtesy the Australian HC & the BHC (for NZ).
    The service commences here at 05.30 and concludes at 06:00. All attendees are then invited to partake of the gunfire breakfast - since the 25th is a Sat. this year, I may just try the milk & rum!
    I will be walking with my DV camera & still camera this year, so, if all goes well, I hope to post some pics here

6. spof

spof New Member

Hello Jerome

Welcome to WW! Talk :)

Milk and rum....sounds like a tough day :D

Even if there were no West Indians at Gallipoli - I also don't know for sure - use it to take time out for a minute or two for the men of the British West Indies Regiment and all the men who stepped forward to serve their country.

Glen

7. liverpool annie

Hi Jerome !! :)

Milk rum and sunshine ... nothing like it is there ?? ( but I really want to know what a gunfire breakfast consists of !! :D )

I'd love to see your pictures ..... all soldiers are remembered on this day ... no matter what the nationality ... but some of your men could have been with other regiments too not just BWIR !

Annie :)

8. liverpool annie

Lest we forget ......

9. John

John Active Member

We shall remember them - Lest we forget - Rest In Peace

10. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Annie, a gunfire breakfast was traditionally beef stew, sausage and bread. These days it's usually a breakfast BBQ - eggs, sausages, bacon etc. Haven't been to one for a while.

11. liverpool annie

All of that sounds good to me !! :D

12. Jerome

Jerome Member

ANZAC Day 2009 in Trinidad. I shot a video of the ceremony but only took these few still photos after: The 'oatmeal biscuit " is top left

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jerome

Jerome Member

14. Jerome

Jerome Member

15. Jerome

Jerome Member

16. Jerome

Jerome Member

I have to edit and will post on photobucket, the video. For Annie: My understanding of a 'gunfire breakfast' : the main ingredients were Rum & Milk and Oat Meal biscuits (top left on plate) - the other items on my plate (very small portions) are pure 'Trini' foods: "Johnny Bake"; above & below the bacon - salted cod fish ('Buljol' in local parlance) and smoked herring and of course, scrambled eggs, salami sausage and cheese. The fruit this year is of course grapes, bananas and watermelon.

17. liverpool annie

Thanks for the pictures Jerome !! :) ... looks like you had a good day !!

So what did you think of the ceremony ? was it very emotional ?

And I have to ask ..... did you make yourself go deaf crunching on the biscuits ?? :D

18. Jerome

Jerome Member

the secret to eating military grade oatmeal biscuits is this: when young with good teeth, munch away freely and damn the noise. when older, soak in milk until totally mushy - yummy.
    This is my 5th ANZAC day ceremony and as always, in its' simplicity and at dawn, it is far more moving than our Rembrance Day service