Also new

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by digger, Nov 27, 2007.

1. digger

digger Guest

After posting a few things thought it time I introduced myself. my name's Rod 58y.o, did 4 years High School cadets as a bren gunner and left as a Sgt then did a bit with 3 Bn RNSWR; 2 years as Hon Sec local RSL sub branch and lately as a committeeman. Responsible for getting a War Memorial built to commemorate WW2-Vietnam vets as they didn't have one. Researched 3101 names by myself, raised the money and organised the Unveiling and Dedication myself then was pressganged into performing the Unveiling. I'm also chief researcher/Tour Guide for local War Memorial Museum.
    Grew up in a houseful of returned men with my maternal grandfather WW1 veteran and foundation/Life Member of his town's RSL mum's brother WW2 RAAF in New Guinea as an Airfield Guard with 323 Radar Sqdn, dad was RN another uncle captured Singapore with 2/12 Field Co. WW2 and survived the Burma Railway. Dad's father was WW1 with Lovat's Scouts also had a brother in Argylle & Sutherland Highlanders WW2 and was one of the last to escape from Singapore by hiding under a jetty until Japs left and then swimming out to sea before being picked up by an Allied ship. Another uncle was in Bomber Command as a Flight Engineer then went to BOAC post war and retired an Instructor with British Airways. A cousin was RAF helicopter fitter saw service in the Falklands, was on the Sir Galahad when sunk and also in Gulf War 1.
    Hence my interest in all military history.

Rod

1 person likes this.
  2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome to the forum Rod. Thank you for the introduction. I hope you enjoy visiting the forum, and look forward to many interesting posts.

That is a very impressive list of relatives, and their service to their country. I don't know if you've seen this thread?

http://ww2chat.com/forums/war-air/433-raaf-radar-vets-organisation.html

And very well done on the War Memorial. That sounds like it was a lot of hard work but wholly worthwhile.

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

welcome to the forum digger, hope you enjoy your stay. Now educate us on your family';s history!

4. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Welcome aboard, Rod, hope you enjoy the site.
    Regards
    Hugh

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome aboard Rod.

Great work on keeping the history and remembrance alive.

6. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

Welcome to the forum Rod, hope you enjoy your time with us!

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome Rod and thanks for introducing yourself. I hope you're enjoying it here. It would seem your family's commitment to service is alive and well in you. Well done with the memorial and the research. Feel free to post away about your family!