Alonzo Cushing Marker (w/Photo)

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by Kate, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Active Member

Yes, I know it's a tad crooked. Gives it character, don't ya think?! :rolleyes: Actually I just wasn't holding the camera straight, but I was having a moment. Seeing the rose there was very poignant. Wish I'd thought of doing that, but someone did at least.

cushing.jpg

2. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

Lt. Cushing was probably sitting across the dinner table from Gen. Lee and President Davis up there at the big R&R center in the sky a couple of days ago, whereby Davis might have said, "If you would have been on my side you would have gotten that medal a long time ago!"

Fantastic pic Kate. I looked all over for that rose you were writing about and for the life of me I couldn't see it! Then I realized that roses absolutely do come in more colors than red. (like my embarassed face)

3. Kate

Kate Active Member

Bite yer tongue! I really can't see Lon Cushing having dinner with Jefferson Davis under *any* circumstances! :) General Lee, yes... that was one fascinating man.

Roses... not only do they come in different colors, but each color has its own meaning. I *think* (I'll look it up to confirm in a sec) that red is for love and white is for friendship... ah wait... maybe yellow is for friendship. Drat, I don't remember... hold on a sec.

Aw, now I'm going to bawl again. A white rose represents purity and innocence. What a PERFECT choice for a 22 year old Lt. who did so much for his men and died defending the country he loved.

Anyhow, yes, red symbolizes love... yellow is friendship and caring... pink is elegance and gentility... and the purple shades are for desire. I guess it would be very confusing for someone to receive a bouquet of all different colored roses! :p

4. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

Excellent photo. I like how it is angled, it changes the perspective a little to be a bit more introspective I think, kind of like a slight tilt of the head.

I don't think the multi-color rose bouquets are that confusing, I think it's pretty clear the person just liked colorful bouquets, rather than seeking a specific meaning. I think the rose in the picture is just perfect though.

5. Kate

Kate Active Member

Thanks, @DancingLady . The more I looked at the pic, I realized that the cannons seem to be straight.. telling me, unless I'm totally missing something, that I really wasn't holding the camera way crooked, but that the monument is slanted. But I don't remember seeing it "in person" that way. I'll just have to check next time!

I was just teasing with @preacherbob50 about the multi-colored bouquets being confusing... that's why I put the ":p" there. It wasn't a serious statement. :)