Aircraft Carriers

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Sep 17, 2007.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

In the second photo above you have the 1915 Ark Royal. What was her name changed to during ww2. Why did it need to be changed?

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Ark Royal AKA ?

Hi Geoff,
    Not sure if this is a query or a test question about something you already know !
    Had a quick check in the book, "British Carrier Aviation" by Norman Friedman, all I could come up with was, because time was of the essence, it was too late to start a new ship, she was built using a requisitioned steamer. No.9727, being built in Blyth Harbour, in preference to another ship the Komarky, because the Blyth ship was in the early stages of construction, main framework only, therefore making it easier to convert..
    The Ark Royal was thus the first ship to be designed and built as a carrier.
    HMS Ark Royal was initially promised for May 1914, this proved impossible because funds for her construction were not released until the beginning of the new financial year 1914-15 in April 1914.
    That statement seems to have a familiar ring to it !
    She was therefore not launched and commisioned until December 9th 1914.
    Too slow ( 10.6 knots on trial ) to be a fleet carrier operating in the North Sea, she was sent to support the Dardinells offensive, next day sent to the Mediterraean for the operation on the 1st February with HMS Empress.
    As yet can find no mention of the re-naming, but it's early days.
    Will post if any more information comes to light.

Cheers
    Keith.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Geoff,
    More of the series.
    Plus a baby.

:playball:
    Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

4. smaja

smaja New Member

This is from Wikipedia

HMS Ark Royal (1914) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Smaja,

Thanks for the info of course it was too obvious for me to think about, useful site.
    Glad to see we have another interested party !
    I am just beginning to plow through this large book on the subject, and thought that while I am reading it I should share the drawings etc. with the members.
    At least, from your avatar, I know that there are at least three of us.
    From his wording I think Geoff was just testing (teasing) me!
    Watch this space for more of the like.
    Appreciate any more help and info from you on the subject.
    :nod:
    Cheers
    Keith

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

No teasing Keith,

All these little snippets are of interest to somebody and just waiting for google to send them here.

Cheers

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your snippet.
    It made me check more into the ships history, finding it to be renamed HMS Pegasus, pity it wound up being scrapped.
    This type of throw out is of great assistance in making members look more into the subject instead of just entering partial bits of information.
    If you feel it is worthwhile please check other drawings I will be loading to help in making links requiring more use of the net to ferret out more info.

Once again thanks for your interest and help.
    Hope I can keep your attention, as you will realise it takes a certain amount of fiddling about to get this type of information ready for posting.
    Any comments and interest shown make it all rewarding.

:nod:
    Cheers
    Keith

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Aircraft Carrier Fledglings

Hi Geoff,
    Can't have a posting on the floating airfields without their reason for being.!!!!

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Geoff,
    In answer to your first query, a bit of padding out.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

10. Keith

Keith New Member

Aircraft Carriers Development

Hi Geoff
    Next stage, beginning to look useful !

Attached Files:

11. Keith

Keith New Member

Experimental Upload For Clarity of previous post.

Cheers
    Keith

PS it worked you now read the drawing reference numbers

12. Keith

Keith New Member

For any who are interested in HMS Ark Royal plonk her name in your search engine to enter Royal Navy Site and opt for the video clip.
    I played my query with the Real Player Hi Res option and gazed in awe.
    Have not had time as yet to look for other ships but I am sure there must be other clips on this site.

Cheers
    Keith DCVII