A Question About Hessians in Virginia

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Pamela Jo, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

About 20+ years ago, I frequently visited the Shenandoah Valley and one of my favorite lodging places was called "The Historic Hessian House" located on Rt. 11 in Staunton, VA. At the time I toured the area, I was only interested in Civil War sites. Even though I was there for Civil War history, I often wondered about the name of the inn where I stayed.

I'm not so familiar with Revolutionary War activity in that part of Virginia. Does anyone know some details about what actions took place there? I've always been curious, but never really looked into it...Much appreciation for any information regarding this!

Pam

2. mvkwasny

mvkwasny New Member

I don't know a lot of details, but I believe Hessian prisoners of war were sent to the Shenandoah Valley during the war, many of them captured when Sir John Burgoyne's army surrendered at Saratoga in October 1777. I also believe most of the Hessian POWs ended up staying in the US.

3. tonyt

tonyt New Member

Pam ,
    About five or six years ago Williamsburg Magazine did an article about Hessians who stayed in America after the War . I looked for it this afternoon but could not find my copy . You may want to research it if you have previous copies or an index . Many of the Hessians settled in the Harrisonburg area of Virginia and middle Pennsylvania with a few going even further west .

Do you still have your interest in the Civil War or have you moved totally to the Revolutionary War ?

Tony

4. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

Tony,

I'm a member of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. I'll have to look into finding that article.

I am still seriously interested in the Civil War. Those are the books which comprise most of my personal library... nearly 2,300 books relating to the "Rebellion." I'm very interested in Pennsylvania's role in the Civil War and Gettysburg is my favorite place in the state. I try to get out there at least 2 or 3 times a year. My favorite general has always been John F. Reynolds. I was fortunate to be able to purchase his signature about 15 years ago. It's one of my most treasured possessions!

Thanks for the info about the article. I will look for it!

Pam

5. tonyt

tonyt New Member

Pam,
    The Williamsburg Foundation magazine is excellent and very well written .

I remain seriously interested in the Civil War even though the Rev War and World War I both try to take my interest . Added only one new Civil War battlefield to my travels this year that being Pea Ridge . Added several new Rev War sites on my trip to West Point . I try to get to Gettysburg on an average every other month . This year only five times I think . I may try to get over between Christmas and New Years . I only have about 1,200 Civil War books about 100 or so World War I .

The Reynolds signature sounds neat . I am sure it is treasured .

What is your favorite Civil War book and Rev War book ? Probably wrong area for that question .
    Tony

6. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

I was checking online for info about Hessians and found a book by Edward Lowell. It covers the history of the Hessians in the American Revolution. I ordered it and hope to discover some facts about my original post on this topic.

If there is anything interesting, I'll post it here.

Pam

7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

A lot of german prisoners were kept at Fort Frederick in Maryland. they were allowed to work for local farmers, many of whom were of German decent and spoke the language. I believe this helped many to decide to 'leave" the service and become future citizens of the US. The same was true of PA. At the Carlysle barracks there is a "Hessian barracks" which held German prisoners as well. As there were many PA famers also of German decent, called "Pa dutch".
    FYI, Out of a total of 29,875 German troops, the true Hessians made up about 65%. This is probably why both British and Americans called all of them Hessians.
    Anhalt-Zerbst 1160
    Ansbach-Beyreuth 2363
    Braunschweig 5723
    Hessen-Castle 16992
    Hessen-Hanau 2422
    Waldeck 1225
    I received this from a friend who reenacts Anhalt-Zerbst.
    YMH & OS, Ben Newton

8. Pamela Jo

Pamela Jo Guest

Thanks for the info! I have not yet received the Hessian book, but expect it any day. I did not know there were Germans & "true" Hessians. I am anxious to get my book and learn more about it!

Pam