A Member of the RAF of Indeterminate Race

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by Antipodean Andy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Along the lines of what Kyt and the Spidgeman have posted re other air forces and the fine contributions to the RAF from members of the Commonwealth and beyond, a West Indian Nav:

Woodfield Publishing Ltd

This is the third reference to a West Indian Nav I have come across this year. The first was David Bennett's, the gunner I'm interviewing, comments when viewing a Sqn pic..."He was a West Indian navigator". Only prob is that I can't remember if it was 9 or 514 Sqn. Recorded the conversation anyway.

Other mention was while listening to Michael Veitch's Flak on CD. One of the Aussie aircrew on there mentioned his Nav was a bloody good one from the West Indies.

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Does it necessarily mean that they were actually West Indian? They may have been son's of British workers that had settled in the Indies.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The West Indian volunteers are really difficult to pin down. Another example is of a BoB Obsevor called Caplin. There's a thread on rafcommands and we still can't figure his race (though it does seem to be that he was probably white).

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Sorry, I meant to add that this was the first West Indian who was clearly a "local" West Indian that I had come across. Mind you, that conclusion's just from the title of the book. The other two I have encountered this year gave me the impression of being sons of immigrants to the West Indies.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This page lists some of those from Bermuda who joined up but distinguishing race has been difficult. I started it as a project last month but got nowhere:

Bermuda's Aviation History and pioneers

6. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Here are some non white R.A.F. personnel. From what I understand these fellows were probably with 50 Squadron

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

An amazing chronology. Very well presented. Good post Kyt.