"A Few Acres of Snow"

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Patriot, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Can anyone comment on this Robert Leckie Title?

Respectfully,

Mike Peters

2. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Mark
    I have not finished this but do not agree with his treatment of MG Edward Braddock. Example; he says Braddock had no use for the Indians. Not true; Braddock was extremely interested in securing the services of them and buying the others off with gifts. There is a copy of the minutes of the meeting between Braddock and the governors of MA, NY, PA, MD, MA at Carlisle House, Alexandria VA. I have portrayed "B" several years at a reenactment of the meeting.
    I will comment more when I finish.
    YMH & OS, Ben

3. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Ben,

I look forward to your comments.

Respectfully,

Mike Peters

4. Legate

Legate New Member

Uncle Ben,

I am currently reading Fred Anderson's Crucible of War and he seems to be implying the same thing as Leckie;that Braddock had little use for Indians as well. He also wrote that Braddock did more damage via his arrogance and high handed treatment of Colonial officials.

I am not as well informed on this era and would welcome your comments on this.

5. Hugh H

Hugh H New Member

I too am reading Anderson. I fear that my knowledge of the F&I War isn't up to the challenge of making a definitive comment. Seems we need to get to the primary sources about that meeting with the Governors.

6. Baltis Getzendanner

Baltis Getzendanner New Member

Have you guys read Eckert's Wilderness Empire? I found it a great follow to Anderson's Crucible.

7. Hugh H

Hugh H New Member

I've not read Eckert.

BTW, I thought that Lechie's expertise was the 19th century plains Indian wars? No?

Hugh

8. Baltis Getzendanner

You are in for a treat. First Wilderness Empire then The Conquerors to finish. It deals with Pontiac's War.

9. Hugh H

Hugh H New Member

Thanks! I'll give 'em a try.

Hugh

10. Legate

Legate New Member

Thanks on the Eckert recommendation. I've been looking to get into his works.

11. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Gentlemen
    I am now back in touch with the Forum. Thought it went away. I will check up on the issues and get back with you. While Braddock is not one of my heroes, I feel he is overly maligned.
    Uncle Ben

12. The General

The General New Member

Uncle Ben,

It DID go away for a while, which was unfortunate. We had technical issues, and it took time to work them out.

That is all in the past now. We're glad to have you back.

Eric

13. Baltis Getzendanner

I was looking over my shelf and ran across a two volume set by William Nester called The Great Frontier War and The First Global War. They cover the French & Indian War. I don't remember ever reading much out of these two. I think I found them a little too Textbookish. Are you familiar with these titles or with Mr. Nester? anyone?

14. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Huzzah! Here I am again. I have finished "a Few Acres of Snow" and was not impressed. He spends the first half or two thirds talking about the wars prior to 'Seven Years". While they have good info, it could be dealt with in much less space. I much prefer Fred Anderson's "Crucible". Now if you want a shorter F&I book let me suggest Fred Anderson's "The War that made America".
    At some time in the future I will comment on the attitudes of British Officers towards the Provincials.
    God Save the King!!

15. Philbert

Philbert New Member

I read "A Few Acres of Snow" a few years ago, and also found it lacking. I still think that this period is terribly overlooked and that we need a good book to discuss the military aspects of the so called "Second Hundred Years War" between the French and British that wore on between the 1660's and 1763. Alas this is not that book. It's writing style is overly simplistic and very few events are treated with any indepth analysis.

16. The General

The General New Member

Leckie has always been a generalist. His books are the ones you read to get an introductory broad overview, and then you move on to stuff that gives you detail and specificity. I've read three of his over the years, and they don't make for bad introductory reads. Just don't expect anything more than that.

Eric