A Brief History (Technical) ~ Naval Guns

Discussion in 'Weapons, Technology & Equipment' started by Diptangshu, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

2. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

I know Encyclopedia Britannica 1880 edition has some technical articals which would suppliment this nicely. Their 1890 also has some good stuff.

There was a lot going on with ballistics and gunnery in general in the half century before the Great War, developments which lead such speculative writers as J. Verne to envision the use of a giant GUN as the means of sending men to the Moon. I'm not sure he understood the concept of G-force or Static Shock on the human body, or the difficulty in a return trip.

3. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

I Agree. Considering the years of His works/writings, I think he was too 'advanced'. He was but a good traveller and instead of writing any travelogue, many of Jules writings predicted for going beyond the Earth!
    Another important prediction of his, you may know, was the possiblity of using H, as fuel!
    It was just impossible in those days to be experienced with g-shock or the doctrine of the EV, the escape velocity, but his Predictions are now proven facts.
    If possible please get/read '' Five weeks in a balloon '', by doing that you surely understand the similarity which experienced by Steve Fauchet, today's balloonist!

4. Interrogator#6

Interrogator#6 Active Member

I think we are getting a bit off on a tanget with this discussion of M. Verne, but as long as we are here I have a couple of points regarding Verne and ballooning. Verne held a single patent, as far as I know, and that was for the variable gas-burner device used in Hot Air balloons. He became enamoured with ballooning when balloons were employed to circumvent the seige of Paris circa 1870-71 during the Franc0-Prussian War.

5. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

I think someone, Franks, experimented with g force at Univ of Toronto (not sure) and as far as I know that, air resistance (within atmosphere) doesn't affet the vertical component of the projectile's velocity, it only affect g force which probably not known to that time (about 1870) or to J Verne! Though I'v not checked it with contemporary research papers/works etc.