81st West African Division

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Netty, May 1, 2009.

1. Netty

Netty New Member

Hi
    New to all this, so please excuse any mistakes!
    I've joined because I am trying to find out a little bit more about my Fathers time in India and Burma during WW2.
    His name was Elwyn (Taffy) Roberts and he was a Sgt in the REME's 1002 (W/A) Mobile Workshops 81 (W/A) Division.
    My most treasured possession is a tankard which is believed to be indian silver and was presented to him beraing the following inscription.
    'Taffy' Presented by the W.O.'s & Sgt's Mess 1002 (W.A.) Mobile Workshops 81 (W.A.) Division West African Expeditionary Force 1943-1945
    At the very top of the tankard is what appears to be a plam tree with a banner beneath bearing the letters RWAFF?
    Any information would be appreciated
    Regards
    Netty

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Welcome Netty

the RWAFF was the Royal West African Frontier Force, of which the 81st was a part. The Palm Tree was their insignia, and the insignia for the 81st was a spider.

I mentioned some references in an earlier thread

http://ww2chat.com/forums/burma-campaigns/665-81st-west-african-division.html

The book War Bush that I mentioned is an excellent read, and the best history of the division. I have had a quick look through but the REME only get passing mentions. But the book does show where they were, what they were doing, etc

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Welcome Netty,

Hope Kyt's info fills in a few gaps.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Welcome aboard, Netty.

5. Netty

Netty New Member

Thank You

Thank you all for your kind welcome.

I do have a copy of the 'War Bush' and as you say the REME get a passing mention. I understand now why my Dad used to say, they never got the recognition they deserved.

In 2002 I sent for his Army records and received photocopies of the originals, but can hardly read some of the handwriting because the copies are so dark. It's a shame really, that you never think to ask the questions, until it's too late.

I've (hopefully) attached a photo of the W.O.'s & Sgt's Mess

Thanks again for your help
    Netty

Attached Files:

• Dad2.jpg
      Dad2.jpg
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink New Member

Welcome to the forum. Happy posting

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

If you have them scanned then post them here or PM me and I will give you my email address. We maybe able to decipher some of it

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Netty

Hi Netty,
    Welcome aboard, so glad you were able to upload your picture, it took me ages to manage that.

Happy hunting,
    Cheers
    Keith

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Netty

Just been taking a closer look at the photo. Notice the blackboard behind the Indian waiter on the right? It appears to say "Inn Repairadise". Well there was a Red Cross club in Agra called the "Repairadise Inn" started by an American called Virginia Claudon Allen. I wonder if it is the same one?

Attached Files:

10. Netty

Netty New Member

Hi Kyt

Thanks for that, when I've zoomed in on photo everything appears more out of focus. I've just been going through my Dad's Army records and on 19.12.1946 he was posted from BBRC (SOS x 4A)? to 43rd R.T.R. Agra - so it could be one in the same!

11. Netty

Netty New Member

Addition - 43rd R.T.R. Photo

I've hopefully attached a copy of 43rd R.T.R.

My Dad is the 3rd on the left, 4th row down.

Does anybody know much about the 43rd R.T.R.? I've been on the R.T.R. website but couldn't find anything about the 43rd.

Thank you
    Netty:

Attached Files:

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

43 RTR served as an armoured vehicle experimental unit in England. In 1945 it was prepared for amphibious operations against the Japanese. Japan surrendered before they deployed to the Pacific.

13. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

Welcome Netty, good luck in your search, glad some of the folks here could help shed some light for you.

14. Netty

Netty New Member

Thank you Kyt, I have very little information re photo only 1946 on the back, so I'm not sure whereabouts it's been taken. I will try and scan in my Dad's Army records tomorrow (the old eyes are weary now) and PM you if that's OK?

Also, thank you Ferhilt for your warm welcome.

Netty

15. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That's fine Netty. PM me when you are ready and I will give you my email. Try to scan scan them at a high resolution and save them as jpegs