3rd battalion of the grenadier guards

Discussion in 'Looking for someone' started by jakibear, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jakibear

jakibear New Member

hi

i was wondering if anyone can help me find some information about my grandfather who my dad tells me joined this battalion as a bandsman in 1915. i dont know how much information i need to put on here but if there is some organisation that might be able to help i would be extremely grateful.

my husband knows all about his dads brother jimmy (18) a US soldier who died on the first ill fated beach landing in WW2.

i tried to search my grandfathers name on one of these general solider record sites but it didnt bring anything up

i hope someone out there can help.

thank you

jacqueline

2. Kbak

Kbak Member

Hi jacqueline and welcome to the forum

What is his Name?

3. jakibear

jakibear New Member

hello

his name was Norman Arthur John Kimp he was born in 1899 and joined in 1915

thank you for responding

regards

jacqueline

4. Kbak

Kbak Member

Jacqueline

Thanks for that I'm on to it.
    I forgot to add my Great grand Uncle William Charles WINN
    was a Private with the Grenadier Guards 3rd Battalion
    His secondary regiment was Guards Machine Gun Regiment Secondary Unit attached to the . 4th Battalion.
    He was 36 when he was killed on 12/10/1918

Regards

Keith

5. Kbak

Kbak Member

Jacqueline

have you tried this place
    The Regimental Archive provides a research service mainly for the relatives and descendents of Grenadiers who wish to solve some long standing military mystery or area of intrigue, for the traveller preparing a battlefield tour or pilgrimage following their family member's footsteps, or the typical family whose curiosity is high because their Grenadier relative "didn't talk much about the war." Advice on the whereabouts and copyright of Regimental pictures, illustrations and photographs is also provided to individuals, families, authors, museums, publications and periodicals.

Enquiries should be sent by post to:
    Regimental Archivist
    RHQ Grenadier Guards
    Wellington Barracks
    London SW1 6HQ

In accordance with Ministry of Defence policy a research fee, currently £30, is payable for each enquiry. Cheques should be made payable to the Regimental Adjutant Grenadier Guards. In the case of individual service records as much information as possible should be provided, including the service number if known.

Regards
    Keith

6. Kbak

Kbak Member

Been looking around you say he was 16 being born in 1899 and joined in 1915 only thing i can think of as I keep getting an Arthur J Kemp instead of Arthur J Kimp is that that Ancestry have spelt it wrong through translation of files or he lied about his Age and name to get in.

Or he joined and being 16 wasn't old enough to fight and stayed at home with the 3 Battalion and protected Buckingham Palace.

Ancestry only has a W J Kimp on its records during ww1 and that was with the navy??
    My advise to you is to check out the above address as your best bet and they should be able to find him for you.
    If anything comes up I will let you know.

Regards

Keith

7. jakibear

jakibear New Member

thank you keith

i shall try that address. i think either my dad has an army number for him or it may be dad's own number - he was in the REME

i have got an National Health Insurance card which says John A Kimp dated 7/11/15 and says army service and the address of 9 oaklands grove, shepherds bush.

i know during my lifetime my name was put as jacqueline kemp because people had never heard of kimp so that may be him. dad was a bit of a lad when he was a young boy and during his REME days - told me the other day he did something naughty - wouldnt say what - and was threatened with a stint in the glass house i think he called it or a dock in his pay. I was thinking if my dad took after his own dad maybe Pop (thats what i called grandad) was a bit of a rogue and did fib about his age.

anyway thank you for all you have done. Pops birthday was 7th November 1899 and the NHI card says 7th November 1915 maybe he joined the day he turned 16 but as i said the card says John A - maybe he didn't like the name Norman.

this might be too much of a mystery to solve

regards

jacqueline

8. Kbak

Kbak Member

My pleasure if anything else shows up i will let you know

regards

Keith

9. Kbak

Kbak Member

Hi again I have found a J A C Kimp in UK, Military Campaign medal and award rolls 1873 -1949 on Ancestry worth taking a look at, you can get a 14 day free trail to Ancestry.

regards

Keith

10. jakibear

jakibear New Member

thats my dad