20 Dec. 1864

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by preacherbob50, Dec 21, 2014.

1. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 Active Member

Today marks the 150th anniversary of Sherman's victory over Savannah, Ga.
    Sherman's somewhat reknowned march to the sea started on 16 Nov. 1864 from the conquered Atlanta, Ga. On the 20 day of Dec., a little more than a month after the start of the march, Savannah, Ga. fell.
    From what I have read about Sherman, he allowed his seasoned troops to "forage" as they needed and contrary to popular belief, only burned down those things that might benefit the Confederacy. One time a group of his troops "foraged" some corn, hens, a peacock, a harp and a rocking chair. I wonder how the harp and rocking chair fit in that Brunswick stew they seemed to be making?
    At the end of it all, Sherman was a key individual who helped change the style of War from Chivilrous and gentlemanly to just plain, no holds barred, war.

When I was in the Army, I was stationed in Savannah at the Hunter Army Airfield. The city is absolutely beautiful with many Civil War time line sights. Sherman pretty much spared Savannah the burning and ransacking his troops were known for, so a lot of the old mansions and homesteads still exist. http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/14369604-95/shermans-march-at-150-5-questions-and-answers