2/9 Field Regiment

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by slouch, Jul 16, 2008.

1. William Gardner

William Gardner New Member

Hi all 2/9th Field Regiment families and friends
    You are all invited to the Chatswood Golf Club Anzac service starting 8am on 25th April. The service is held around the original 25-pounder gun and plaque with all the names of the men who served in that unit. If you have any memorabilia please bring it along. If you want more information just contact me on wwgardner@bigpond.com Cheers Will Gardner, Turramurra.

2. mickhooper

mickhooper New Member

Hi everyone,how is everyone
    I am new to this forum and am keen to learn about my great grandfather.
    he was in the 2/9th as a gunner.
    I read about the book 2bar9 nooze, but cannot find it online anywhere to be able to get it to read.
    I have included a picture of my great grandfather and it included his medals and badges all done up in a frame that my mum had done for my older brother, who was the only one of the grand kids to have met our great grandfather. he died not long after he was born.

Attached Files:

3. Ross Reid

Ross Reid New Member

4. Ross Reid

Ross Reid New Member

Hi to all of the members. I have been going through some of my late father's photos and have found a couple that were taken in the Middle East. Palestine & Aleppo were noted on the back of the photos.

I have one photo with my dad (Silas Reid), J McGovern (Goulburn), L Veneables (Gundagai) and Gunner Dowd. Interestingly Gunner Dowd's name does not appear in the list of names in the back of the Souvenir of the 2/9 Field Regiment. The photo was taken on 1/1/1942 in Aleppo

5. Ross Reid

Ross Reid New Member

In my last post I said that I could not find a CW Dowd in the Souvenir book. I was wrong. he is there. Did not look harde enough

6. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

LastScan5.jpg Decided it,s time to stick my bib in. my father was [ is ] 2/9th, marched till unit disbanded, then marched with his grandson in 2011. this year 2014 he got up at 3.30 went to his local Dawn Service, caught the train into Sydney and watched the March, saw nobody else so travelled home. A long day for a 95 year old on his own. Loves his 25Pr.

7. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

The history of the 2/9th Field Regiment has a lot to do with them being a Corps Troop, as such when they went to Egypt, they were attached to the Suez Canal force, where they swapped the 18 Prs for the 25Prs of 2/1 Reg, then sent north in support of the British Army, a one line mention in the 2/4th war diary, when the 4.2 howitzers of 2/9th were sent to the coast. Their transfer to the Torres Straight Force receives little mention in the few books about that area. nothing said about their epic drive down Cape York in Blitzes.

8. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

Just to bump this one again, if I could obtain any pic,s of 2/9th personel 39-45. The reason is the bush fires of 2001 destroyed dads albums and he is painfully collecting copies from the few remaining members that he knows, thanks.

9. William Gardner

Hi Dropshort
    That rings a few bells re the blitzes and Torres Strait - Dad recalled times at Merauke River in Dutch New Guinea - 2/9th went there after returning from Syria. Sorry to hear about your Dad's photos - how good is he at 95!! Re the Anzac Parade see my April 10 2014 post here that gives some detail on what has happened since they no longer march. Will get some more photos uploaded. Cheers

10. William Gardner

2/9th Fld Rgt Cairo and Beach 1941 Cairo 2nd 9th Fld Rgt0001.jpg 1941 Cairo 2nd 9th Fld Rgt0002.jpg 1941 Cairo 2nd 9th Fld Rgt0003.jpg 1941 Cairo 2nd 9th Fld Rgt0004.jpg 1941 Cairo 2nd 9th Fld Rgt0005.jpg June 1941

11. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

William, thanks for those, I rang dad and he remembers your father, we didn,t know of the service at the golf club. we took him there after the Anzac March a couple of years ago LastScan202.jpg

William Gardner likes this.
  12. William Gardner

Hi Dropshort
    That is terrific! Your Dad's memory is still very sharp! The photo of him is excellent. What was your Dad's NX number? On the photos I uploaded I scanned the backs as well and there are some NX numbers and names. Quite a few more photos to come. You mentioned 1939 and I think they spent some time training at Holsworthy and even Victoria Barracks. Here are some photos of then.

Attached Files:

13. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

thanks they are great, Dad did national service in 38, but parents wouldn,t let him signup till he turned 21. his knowledge of gun position assistant and ability to use slide rule saw him straight into GPO. Service No NX28724, 2-9 nooze BHQ 17 battery pic 2nd row. He spends hours with his gun when it,s on show. LastScan.82.jpg 25 pr 002.jpg LastScan.82.jpg

14. William Gardner

Hi Dropshort
    Wow he is fantastic! Congratulations to him on the 25 pdr - what excellent condition. It would be great to see him and the gun if he still displays it. Any chance of a future event? Looks like a country NSW show?
    My Dad NX66468 Will

15. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

oberon 11 139.JPG oberon 11 071.JPG William, We try to attend the Oberon Steam Festival in Febuary each year, we took the Short last time as space was limited on the truck. Dad not having his license now will make it hard for him, as he drove up last time.

16. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

The jeep doesn,t belong to us the owner wanted to tow the gun ,that was until he found that since it was heavier than the jeep, going and stopping was not as expected.

17. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

Will there be a service at Chatswood golf club this year 2015, Dad is interested in attending. I am already booked up with a service at Neville Pop 100, this Sunday 19th. Then Millthorpe, Carcour, Mandurama then Lyndhurst on Anzac day. Dad is hoping to be in Bathurst on 9th May for their 200 year celebrations as the Gun and Limber will be on display. Bob.

K.Speer likes this.
  18. K.Speer

K.Speer New Member

Hi Bob. We may have some things in common. My Grandfather, Reg Butler, was in the 2/9. Sadly he is no longer with us, passing away 7 years ago at the age of 90. He had a passion for collecting military vehicles also, and had an amphibious jeep. The jeep is still in the family and will be used at the ANZAC march in Blayney this year. Perhaps our paths have crossed at some stage. Kylie

19. William Gardner

Hi Bob and Kylie and members of the 2/9th
    I will contact Chatswood Golf Club to check they are holding a ceremony as they usually do on Anzac Day and post it here. If they do it would be terrific to have a good number and to bring some memorabilia as well to share.
    Will

20. dropshort25

dropshort25 New Member

Will, Dad has someone to take him to Chatswood if a service is being Held. Kylie, we knew your grand father well and regularly see Mitch at Corowa. Bob.