2/9 Field Regiment

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by slouch, Jul 16, 2008.

1. slouch

slouch New Member

Hi, I'm new here. I'm trying to find information on my father's unit in ww2. He was in the 2/9th Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery. I've found references to what might be an association newsletter called "2 Bar Nine Nooze", but I haven't found any sellers with a copy. The only other information I've found so far is very general and hasn't told me much. Has anybody here got any information or suggestions?

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Slouch, welcome to the forum.

Have you applied for his service records? A lot of Australian records have been digitised and are available online. Try his name and/or service number on the NAA site:

National Archives of Australia - Login
    (enter as Guest)

Unfortunately none of the files on the regt have been digitised but can be applied for via the above site. I think the following would be of interest to you:

Official Souvenir History 2/9 Australian Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery including nominal roll of Officers and Men, 1940-1945 Seies Number AWM54
    http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=455296

I don't know when he served but these are the available regimental diaries and records:

Unit History - 2/9 Australian Field Regiment, July 1940 to late 1941
    (NAA Control number: 75/1/1)

2/9 Field Regiment Signal Section [Whole diary - 6 items] (Dec 1941; Feb-Dec 1942; Jul 1943 - Apr 1945)
    (NAA Control number: 7/6/3)

2/9 Field Regiment Signal Section [Whole diary - 1 item] (Jan-Nov 1945)
    (NAA Control number: 7/6/20)

2/9 Field Regiment (2/9 Fd Regt) [Whole diary - 35 items] (Apr 1940; Jul 1940 - Jan 1946)

(NAA Control number: 4/2/9)

2/9 Australian A Field Regiment - Account of engagement in the Syrian Campaign (Sep 1941)
    (NAA Control number: 531/2/18)

These files can be found using the link I have posted. In the search box after you have entered as a Guest search for 2/9 Field Regiment

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

G'day Slouch,

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Owen

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Hi Slouch, welcome mate. Hope you enjoy it here.

6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Hello Slouch and welcome :D

7. bikegirl

bikegirl New Member

My grandfather was also in the 2/9 FIELD REGIMENT from 40-46. Thanks for those links I will try to track down the diaries and history.

8. braithwaite74

braithwaite74 New Member

Hi Slouch, I hope you find what you are after, my dad was a 2/9 Field Regiment gunner during the WW2, I was lucky, my dad Frank, kept a lot of of information, I also was able get information and photos from the war memorial in Canberra.

9. William Gardner

William Gardner New Member

Hi Slouch
    The 2/9th Field Regiment - my Dad was a Captain in it in Syria looking after the transport and 25 pounder guns. I have a number of those books mentioned in the other replies, including the 2 Bar Nine Nooze and a host of photos taken on the boat going over, disembarking in Egypt, up through Palestine and into Syria - Merdjayoun, Litani River.... In Sydney they don't march anymore due to age. They meet at Chatswood Golf Club where my Dad and the guys oversaw the renovation and installation of a 25 pounder gun. I haven't checked today 25th April 2012 - but imagine they will be there at about 2-3pm. Best wishes.

10. Bob Harlow

Bob Harlow New Member

G'day to those interested in the 2/9th Field Regiment,

My father was a gunner in the Regiment from July 1940 to April 1944. I have a good collection of photos that I'm digitising and uploading to the Internet. I have other material that I'm gathering together, including some 2 Bar Nine Nooze. Have any of you uploaded material that you have so that we can share it?

11. William Gardner

I will try to get some uploaded. Cheers

12. Phillip Girle

Phillip Girle New Member

Hi All, my Dad was also a gunner in the 2/9th Field Regiment. I have a few photos I could share if anyone is interested. I just watched the ANZAC day march in Sydney but didn't see the 2/9th FR represented. Did I miss it or was it not there. I guess there would be very few if any vets still with us but some of the other regiments and divisions still had some vets there so hopefully 2 bar 9 still has some as well. Unfortunately my Dad passed on in 1979. He was ONLY 62. I would appear the the 2 Bar 9 Nooze hasn't been published since 2007. Cheers. Phil.

13. William Gardner

Hi Phillip
    The 2/9th Field Rgt do not march anymore sadly. The 2/9th lives on however: the 2/9th Committee repaired/stripped/painted a 25 pounder gun and it installed as a Memorial at Chatswood Golf Club, Sydney (I think there were some members there). It has a high position over the golf club/green and beside the drive to the club door. Just below it is a bronze plaque with over 930 names inscribed (including my dad's). My sister and I attended a small but excellent service there at 8am on Anzac Day led by the President of the club. A few other relatives were in attendance and I took along a photo album full of Syrian locations and the Xmas menu of course! We had a good time while having a cuppa. Maybe next year you could get along. I have been intending to digitise some key photos too so hopefully this year. I have a great copy of the 2Bar9 Nooze too.
    Best wishes
    William Gardner

14. William Gardner

Hi Bob
    Hope to this year! Good on you , look fwd to it too.
    Cheers
    William Gardner

15. Stu40c

Stu40c New Member

Evening All,

New to the forum.

My grandfather served in the 2/9 th and I was wondering if the regiment still marched in the ANZAC day service here in Sydney.

I was thinking that if the regiment still marched of attending the march in 2014.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

16. Phillip Girle

Phillip Girle New Member

Hi Stu40c,
    I don't know if you can see previous posts on this forum so I will copy and paste some info re the march which was posted on 26th April last year when I joined this forum. Mt Dad was a gunner in the 2/9th.
    Cheers
    Phil

Hi Phillip
    The 2/9th Field Rgt do not march anymore sadly. The 2/9th lives on however: the 2/9th Committee repaired/stripped/painted a 25 pounder gun and it installed as a Memorial at Chatswood Golf Club, Sydney (I think there were some members there). It has a high position over the golf club/green and beside the drive to the club door. Just below it is a bronze plaque with over 930 names inscribed (including my dad's). My sister and I attended a small but excellent service there at 8am on Anzac Day led by the President of the club. A few other relatives were in attendance and I took along a photo album full of Syrian locations and the Xmas menu of course! We had a good time while having a cuppa. Maybe next year you could get along. I have been intending to digitise some key photos too so hopefully this year. I have a great copy of the 2Bar9 Nooze too.
    Best wishes
    William Gardner

17. Phillip Girle

Phillip Girle New Member

Hi Bob, Have you uploaded the material you refer to and if so, where can I find it ? Cheers. Phil.

18. William Gardner

Dear 2/9th Field Regiment 'members'
    You have sparked me into some action for digitising and uploading so have made a basic start. I have also scanned the backs of the photos as that is where the interesting info is. I have photos of pre-departure at Victoria Barracks, Anzac Rifle Range Camp, Moorebank etc but can do those later. Heaps more in Syria, Merdjayoun, etc to come with lots of faces. Cheers

Attached Files:

19. William Gardner

A few more in Egypt

Attached Files:

20. Roger Pearson

Roger Pearson New Member

Hello everyone, I too have only just, in the last half hour registered on this forum. I also have a connection with the 2/9th Aust Fld Regt which my uncle (mum's brother) served with. Until his records are made available at Nat. Archives all I have to go on is his discharge certificate which states he held the rank of Gnr. I have no idea...............................yet, how long he was with the Regt but I have found out via the Aust War Memorial the Regt was transferred from the 8th Aust Div to the 7th seeing service in Syria.

Cheers,
    Roger P.
    Bendigo, Australia.