157 transit camp

Discussion in 'Regiment Histories' started by kerri, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kerri

kerri New Member

I really need information on how transit camps worked. One in particular 157 transit camp Middle East 1942. Now as I understand it men were sent there to get there orders on what unit / area they were to go to. If i was looking for a name of a relative that was sent to transit came 157 should there be a muster roll or unit history( I dont think history is right ) or a book of standing orders. I'm open to any sugestions

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Kerry,

Can't help with regard to nominal rolls etc.
    When posted to Austria I had quarters not far from the Villach transit camp.
    Their main purpose was to receive and billet if required troops coming into and leaving the area.
    Purely a temporary accomodation for troops in transit awaiting further posting to their permanent destination.

Cheers
    Keith

3. kerri

kerri New Member

Keith

where were the orders put so the soldier would have conformation of where they have been and where they were to go do you have any idea

4. sniper

sniper Active Member

Kerri,

On every base there is Daily Orders and Standing Orders. It won't show where the service person has come from but it would show where they are going. Both sets of orders would be put in every block or hut and also a set would be outside the HQ building, as well as every department would have a set. The admin department would of put one set away for records but i'm not really sure where they would of gone from there but i gather it would of gone to an MOD department to be put away for records. These records will probably be available from the MOD but it will cost you if you ask them to do a search. Are you looking for a British service person? If so try this link which will take you to the MOD website and then contact them from there. Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Researchers | Find Historical information

Hope that helps
    Sniper

5. carolgreen299

carolgreen299 New Member

Purely a temporary accomodation for troops in transit awaiting further posting to their permanent destination.