100th Anniversary

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by conovy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. conovy

conovy New Member

I'm a bit late, but World War 1 began on the 28th of July in 1914 when the chain of war declarations was set off by Austria declaring war on Serbia. The anniversary was a little over a week ago now, but I still thought it was worth a thread. I don't know as much as I'd like to about "The War to End All Wars", but this was in my opinion the most important event of the 20th century. It set the tone for just about everything, the treaty of Versailles directly lead to the later German aggression and set the tone for the rest of the century.

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

poppies1.jpg poppies2.jpg To commemorate the start of WWI, over 800,000 ceramic poppies are being planted in the dry moat of the tower of London. One poppy for every British Empire serviceman killed in the conflict. The poppies are being planted every day and with the last one being put in place on 11th November. The poppies are available to buy with delivery after the display ends in November. Over 100,000 have already been sold ( one to me ) with 10% of the proceeds going to selected military charities. I'm planning to go to see the poppies on 1st November when the display will be almost complete. This particular commemoration has certainly captured the attention of the British Public. poppies1.jpg poppies2.jpg

3. Kate

Kate Active Member

Oh, @aghart , what a beautiful way to remember the British sacrifices! I think this is a great idea, and it certainly puts a firm visual with the reminder of just how many soldiers were lost.

Even better that some of the proceeds are going to military charities. Will the other 90% be given to other charities, or is it earmarked for another cause?

4. wulfman

wulfman Member

it has been 100 years. wow. a good way to remember all those that died in the infamouse first world war.

5. aghart

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. Kate

Kate Active Member

Absolutely gorgeous! It says they're hoping for more than £15 million and will be divided between Service charities. I hope they sell every single one of them... that's so beautiful.

7. aghart

On August 4th 2014, The Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset, England held a commemorative day to mark the start of WWI. It included a mock battle and included a moving scene when a cloud of poppies was released above a WWI and modern Challenger II tank, and the soldiers taking part in the battle.
    poppies 3.jpg poppies7.jpg poppies 4.jpg poppies5.jpg poppies6.jpg

8. aghart

There are going to be numerous commemorations in the UK during the next four years. They will not be as frequent or as numerous as the current events commemorating the start of the conflict or those planned in 2018 to mark the end of the war, but there will be a steady stream. Gallipoli (2015), Jutland & The Somme (2016) Passchendaele (2017) will be the main events. I will be in France in 2017 at the celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Cambrai. Not the most famous battle of the conflict, but for the Royal Tank Regiment, it is "the" commemoration and in November 2017 Cambrai will be the place for any self respecting "tankie" to be.

9. Kes1

Kes1 New Member

I to will be going to the Tower at the end of the year & also in France early next year to pay my respects & be eternally thankful!

10. aghart

ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p01lmhym I have received tickets to attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, London on Saturday 8th November, in the presence of HM the Queen. Being the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI it should be a very special and emotional evening. Tickets for this are like gold dust! The link shows three photo's from 2013.

11. Kate

Kate Active Member

Well! That does indeed sound like a very special event, @aghart ! Nice pictures... I'll look forward to hearing about the program that was presented.

12. aghart

It seems that over 400,000 poppies have been bought by the British public for delivery after 11 November 2014. The poppies in the moat continue to grow. The latest images are below. The third photo shows HRH The Duchess of Cambridge planting a poppy. This whole thing is just getting bigger and bigger, maybe other countries could copy this and have similar displays for the anniversary of the end of WWI in 2018. poppy10.jpg poppy11.jpg poppy12.jpg poppy13.jpg

13. aghart

Getting bigger and better every day and still over a month to go before it reaches it's zenith. poopyoct1.jpg poppyoct2.jpg poppy0ct3.jpg poopyoct1.jpg poppyoct2.jpg poppy0ct3.jpg

14. aghart

poppy ariel.jpg

A view from above

15. Kate

Kate Active Member

I wanted to tell you again, @aghart , how much I've enjoyed these pictures you have posted. They certainly do bring the point across vividly, don't they?! And still almost four weeks until 11 November!

16. aghart

royal poppy.jpg train poppy.jpg

Thank you Kate, HM the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the moat today. 600,000 poppies have now been sold. Look at the train? it is running on the London-Edinburgh route, very impressive?

17. Kate

Kate Active Member

Extremely impressive, that train! Her majesty and the Duke are looking well... that's a great photo. And I love (sorry, this is a girl-thing) the way her clothing always matches her hat exactly... that's a stunning shade of blue!

18. aghart

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  19. aghart

Every one of the ceramic poppies have now been sold. £11million has been raised for Military Charities. I am going to London this weekend and will at last be able to see the poppies for myself.

20. Kate

Kate Active Member

How exciting this is, @aghart ! I think back when you first mentioned this, you said that you'd be getting your own sponsored poppy in November... will you be picking it up on this trip?