WWII Weekends at Eisenhower's Farm

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kate, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Active Member

I have been to a few of the WWII weekends at President Eisenhower's farm in Gettysburg. I've always come away with a lot more knowledge than before I visited these living history events.

This year's WWII weekend will be held the 20th and 21st of September. There will be camps (both German and Allied), original vehicles, and many people to answer questions. (Including some WWII veterans.)

Best memories for me (so far!) are being able to wear vintage clothing from the era even though I wasn't a living history volunteer, being asked to sit in an authentic vehicle for pictures, and seeing a German and Allied officer walking side by side chatting. (Even little things amuse me!)

Hmmm... other things available will be weapons on display, medical service displays, equipment, and so on. One of the neatest things for me didn't even happen at the farm... it was in Gettysburg the night before and seeing the WWII soldier re-enactors in their uniforms walking around town... it was like stepping into the 1940s and I'll never forget it!

The Gettysburg Visitor Center/Museum will be hosting a USO dance that Saturday night starting at 7:30... that music from the 40s should be fun!

There's a fee for entry to the farm for the event.. I think it was about $7 or $8 last time I stopped by. Oddities (at least in my mind) from that visit: the availability of a "Spam Sandwich" from the lunch cart (maybe spam was popular then) and the fact that I got to use the restroom in Ike and Mamie's barn.
    :) There was a little electric heater in there at foot level. Just tickled my funnybone... not sure why!

I must find a way to go this year! I'll be in Gettysburg in late June and again in late August, so not sure if I can wing it, but I just reminded myself what a great time I always had at this event!

2. Kate

Kate Active Member

Hey everyone... Just bringing this post of mine from June to the top again to remind everyone that WWII weekend at Ike's farm is approaching rapidly.

Will you be going? I'll have to :( miss it again because I'll be in the area just a few weeks after that and can't really go twice so close together... especially considering I was just there earlier in August.

I really need to consider moving to Gettysburg!

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Member

I haven't been able to make it up there but it's definitely something I'd like to experience at some point. One of the biggest regrets of my life so far is not making it up to see Gettysburgh in person. I imagine it's a pretty remarkable place. Haven't heard much about Eisenhower's farm but I bet that would be a cool place to visit as well.

4. Kate

Kate Active Member

Oh, do it! Prepare first so that you don't miss any of the battlefield, but you'll not regret it if you come prepared. (I know that some people arrive and assume they'll see everything if they just "drive around" but it's not true and they usually miss at least 60% of things they should see.)

Eisenhower Farm... well, it's mediocre for the normal tour (which I think you still grab from the visitor center, can't drive onto the grounds in a private vehicle) and ya go through the house, and grounds, see his vehicles in the shed, etc. and then leave... for me it was always "oh well, that was nice"... but nothing that I wouldn't care about missing again...

..... BUT the WWII Weekend, now that's different. That is like stepping back into time and the sights and sounds (and smells!) are incredibly memorable.